Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

dogs: Grooming..Pet..hair from inside the ear..My vet does not agree…

Customer Question
I have recently had some...
I have recently had some training during a Grooming course that I have been on and then backed up by a Pet Medics course run by a Sydney company and they said that new research had shown that it is not recommended to remove the hair from inside the ear of dogs anymore as this can make the problem worse ? My vet does not agree with this. does any one have any information to back this up ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/21/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian

hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I don't think you are going to find any studies or papers showing actual research into whether or not removing hair is beneficial or not. Often time people use the term research which is simply a one clinic study, someones clinical trial, a companies internal experiment. In order to appropriately use the term research usually a certain study type needs to be done on a large number of dogs (usually called double blinded) and then a peer reviewed paper needs to be published.

Before I answer the question and I certainly will did the course instructor say that removing the hair is harmful?

Yes
she said that by removing the hair would leave open pores which could increse the risk of infection ?
I have been left very confused as my vet was very against the issue and said he would tell his clients not to use me as a groomer if I did not offer hair removal from the ears ? I have just set up business as a groomer and have gone abouth this in what I belive to be the right way, educating my self as much as I can with avalible courses to try to give a good standard of work to my clients and really need clarification on the matter for not only my own puppys sake but my clients dogs.

I'm glad you are taking your education seriously. It is important to collect as many facts as you can and then make your own decision.

When you pull the hair it will in fact leave an open pore however the pores are open already! The hair does not seal the hair follicle (pore) oils, wax etc still are exuded from the pores of the hairs. Removing the hairs do in fact make the hair follicle wider but it was not sealed to begin with. If an infection wanted access to the hair follicle it had access if the hair was there or not.

The most common cause of ear infection is actually second to allergies so the presence of hair or no hair doesn't matter as it does not change the course of allergies.

I agree with your vet. The most common non allergy cause of infections is build up of humidity and moisture in the ear. The presence of hair collects moisture and the ear wax which will allow minor max build up and things like baths (moisture) to make normal ears infected ears. Clearing out this hair prevents the moisture and wax build-up. After seeing many many ears both groomed and ungroomed I can assure you that hair removal is the away to go. I also would not recommend a groomer who did not depilliate.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Yes it does help, I want to do the right thing, and am disappointed that I was given incorrect information from a Vet Nurse Nicole from Pet Medics Sydney who said that any vets still practicing the removal of hair from the ears were not up to date and incorrect,she was very strong in her views, myself and the other students have been misinformed, I'm just sorry that I have had to questioned my vet, and I will contact Nicole regards XXXXX XXXXX to make sure there is no more confusion to other students of hers.

I would ask her if she can produce her research. No vet knows everything and most of the people we experience who are determined to (show up the vets) usually are VERY strong in their conviction. Ask for documented proof, show it to your vet and go from there. With documentation then your vet can see if we need to change our opinion. However I will be surprised if she can provide more than her opinion. Before you get defensive I'd politely ask for documented proof of her opinion. Continue to collect opinions it's usually an interesting exercise. The only thing you'll find out for absolute certain... is that you'll never find 100% agreement!!!!!

Dr. Dan