Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Backgrnd (1) We have two 7-mo. old sister-Schipperkes both…

Customer Question
Backgrnd: (1) We have two...
Backgrnd: (1) We have two 7-mo. old sister-Schipperkes: both R healthy & also rarely show the super-bond some sites warn about. We've been a Schips-family for 15 yrs (NOT breedrs). (2) A big back lot = fenced in. Some of the grass has prickers: prof. reseed = no help. Yet in 20 yrs, no pet's ever shown any probs w/it. Wild deer also come, @ times even w/in fence. (3) Larger pup's 1st heat began last few days; smaller pup: no. But smaller 1 is LIMPING as of Yest. pm: holding hind R-foot in air. We tried calm exam: no way! So husband said "Dogs often work such things out themselves, let's wait & see". She still hobbled around sweetly; appetite good, body cool, etc. // Today: NOW refuses to get up. Growls @ sister,not @ me. Won't go to food BUT ate well when brought TO her. Head may B warm: unsure.

Q: Do we go to 24Hr ER Clinic, 75 mi ea way? Or wait 4 own vet on Monday?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/20/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
HI there.

there are 2 possibilities for this condition. One is that your gal has developed an infection and/or abscess in this aw that is causing her so much discomfort that she will not move. At this age, they can appear more hurt than they really are. It is a good sign that she is eating so I do not feel, based in that, that you need to take her to the Er clinic.

If you can do it, wrap her in a towel so you can get a good look at her paw. there could be something stuck in it that is now causing an infection. If you see anything like this, apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs, if possible. Then give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound of her weight given every 12 hrs. This will decrease her discomfort and allow her to move more freely. By this time, you will know if she needs to see your vet.

Good Luck!!
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your answer is great! I'm just writing back b/c you say "there are 2 possibilities for this condition", and I'm wondering what the OTHER possibility might be, since I don't think I see any reference to that other one here. Knowing what they both are would be helpful for us, I think -- so do you mind supplying the other one that, in your opinion, you believe might be the case here?

Many sincere thanks,

Helen
Oh, sorry Helen, I got caught up telling you about one that I forgot the other....

The other is a bruise or fracture due to an injury from playing. This will respond to the aspirin and if this does not respond, you will have to have your vet xray this to be sure it does not need treatment.

I hope that helps,Helen! have a Great day!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
HI again.

You can always log back into this question and reply without having to pay again, Helen.

I am happy to answer any further questions you have...let me know
Oh thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I must admit that the directive "you can always log back into this question and reply without having to pay again", while completely appreciated (indeed: very much so!!), is something that, technically speaking, I just don't understand, since I don't know what it means to "log back into this question" -- much less, HOW to do so "without having to pay again". But perhaps that's my problem & not yours -- or perhaps you can refer me to someone else @ Just Answer who can explain those 2 steps to me so you don't have to use your highly valuable time online in answer technical Q's!

Meanwhile, here are the 2 QUICK Clarifications I need from you. Thank you for being willing to supply them:

1) You stated "If you can do it, wrap her in a towel so you can get a good look at her paw. There could be something stuck in it that is now causing an infection. If you see anything like this, apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs if possible. Then give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound of her weight given every 12 hrs. This will decrease her discomfort & allow her to move more freely. By this time, you will know if she needs to see your vet."

CLARIFICATIONS NEEDED:

1) Are wash cloths soaked in medium-hot water & thun wrung out the kind of "hot compress" you mean? If not, please explain how we should make them - AND ALSO, how long should we apply them to the paw (that is, if she'll let us hold them to her paw![ ??

(1) (A) And if we DO succeed in getting her wrapped in a towel, & if we DO discover "something stuck in it that is now causing an infection" as you put it so well -- should WE attempt to remove that "something"?
-- OR should we leave it in her paw in case our own untrained attempts to remove it might fail (e.g., such as the thing breaking off & thus part of it ends up becoming stuck below the surface of her skin, etc. etc.!) --

(B) Or if we do should leave it in there & not try to remove it ourselves, are we correct in assuming we'd leave it there in order to wait & have the vet professionally remove it (on the assumption that someone at our regular Clinic will be able to see her tomorrow)?

2) As far as giving her the aspirin goes: since you seem to be recommending that we give it to her under either situation we discover on our own today, I.E.:
(A) give the aspirin to her IF we find something in her paw, as well as
(B) give the aspirin to her IF she instead "has a bruise or fracture due to an injury from playing -- this will respond to the aspirin; & if it does not respond then you will have to have your vet xray this to be sure it does not need treatment" --

we're wondering if you mean "5 mg per pound of her weight" of BABY Aspirin, such as "St. Joseph's" ?

OR do you mean of any regular ADULT aspirin, such as regular OTC Bayer aspirin for adults, but still "at 5 mg per pound of her weight"??

NB: I'm pretty sure you'll say "I mean the Baby Aspirin", dear Dr. Loretta, but I just don't want to make ANY mistakes that might harm this darling puppy (her name is "White Foot", btw -- & her larger sister who's in heat right now is named "Pippin"), & thus I realized I'd better request a clarification about this aspirin-type from YOU!

Thanks very much again for your kind help & assistance,

With most gratefulregards,

from

Helen

PS: UH-oh..... I have a feeling that, if this time is anything like last time, as soon as I click on the button called "Reply To Expert", I'm going to get an automated request to pay you the extra money I pledged , thinking this pledge was necessary in order to get back in touch w/you! Oh ear!....
No worries, Helen. I am happy to help to clarify anything that you are not sure about.

Look at White Foot's paw and if there is a thorn or stinger, remove it yourself if possible. If you are not comfortable, simply apply hot washcloths to this area for 5 minutes every 4 hrs. This will draw out any infection. If you see some pus, you can apply Neosporin after the compresses that can be purchased OTC at the pharmacy.

I would give the aspirin in any event since this will help with pain, whatever the cause. A baby aspirin is 81 mg so if White Foot weighs 20 pounds, one baby aspirin will help, given every 12 hrs. If she weighs more, you may have to give more than one.

Does that help, Helen? Just let me know...I am happy to help poor little White Foot get through this trauma.

Have a Great day!!
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Loretta! You are so kind & wise, and we will be following your directions carefully. And of course, in answer to the disclaimer that's apparently auto-posted w/ "Just Answer" replies, let me assure you (as well as the folks behind "Just Answer") that we DO realize we still must take White Foot to her OWN vet, & we shall try to get her in there tomorrow. But what would we have done without YOUR help on a weekend like this?!?!?.... Thank God you are there for people like us. Thank you for caring enough to offer your services in this "Just Answer" format, as well as offering them via the other venues you undoubtedly cover ever day!

With MUCH very sincere gratitude again,

Helen xoxox

PS: Dr. Loretta, Steve says White Foot is already up & running around outside since she received her 1st baby aspirin a little while ago!!!! AWESOME!
YAHOO, Helen!!

That is GREAT!!

Thanks you for the kind words and I can tell you it is a pleasure helping such nice people as you!! I hope White Foot is back to her old self soon!!!