Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

cat: by my Vet..my 12 year..12 year old..three teeth extracted…

Customer Question
Please don't think I am...
Please don't think I am stupid for asking this question, but I am very upset. I was told by my Vet that my 12 year old cat had to have three teeth extracted because of cavities. In the consent letter that she sent to me to sign, she stated "that anesthesia involves some risk to my cat and of course if I sign these papers they cannot be held responsible under any circustances if something happens - like death." Naturally this scared me to death. I know any operation of any kind is a risk, but I just lost a cat in December and certainly don't want to lose another cat. I don't know if my cat is in any pain right now and I don't want her to be in any, but I am also scared to have her go through this. I have a Sister-in-law who just lost her dog two years ago by having just one tooth extracted. This is why I am so upset. What should I do? I would appreciate any advice that you can give me. Thank you,Customer
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/19/2010
Veterinarian: Santiago Soto, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Santiago Soto
Santiago Soto, Veterinarian
Hello friend, thank you for posting your question.

Your fear is to be expected and normal. As well as you doubts.
I will have to agree with you and you vet, when you say there
Are risk, with any procedure that involves anesthesia.
Specially with animal his age, increase the risk.

What I would suggest, is look for a second opinios as for trearment.
Hearing other vets, might help you take a desicion.
There might be other way to treat this case.

Take your time before taking the next step.

Hope this helps

Dr. Santiago