Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a fox terrier that has been treated for diarrahea. She…

Customer Question
I have a fox terrier...
I have a fox terrier that has been treated for diarrahea. She is warm and doesn't seem to want to move much.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/18/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kris, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Hi

I'm Dr. Kris.

Is she eating and drinking?
How long has she been taking the albon?

She has been on Albon for about 4 days. She is drinking. She is not eating very much

Does she still have diarrhea?
Did the vet do a fecal exam? What was the result?

She is still having a little diarrahea, but not like before

I don"t think he did a fecal exam

Do you have a digital thermometer?
Your vet didn't do any tests for intestinal parasites?

no to both

Okay. Thanks for the info. The lethargy could be due to a fever, the fact that she isn't feeling well, dehydration from the diarrhea or her decreased appetite. She may need to go back to the vet for reassessment if her condition doesn't improve over the next 24-48 hours.

If possible, try to get a human digital thermometer. Lubricate the tip with KY jelly or vaseline and insert it about 1 inch into the rectum. Wait until it beeps to read it or leave it in for a minute before reading. A dog's normal temperature range is 100-102.5F.

If the temperature is over 103F, you can use a fan, cool damp towels or wrapped ice packs on her back, abdomen and between her legs to bring her temperature down. Also, you can put some rubbing alcohol on the pads of her feet. Giving her cool water (not ice cold) will help too. You can check her temperature every 10-20 minutes until it is back within normal range. Remove the ice packs at that time and check her temperature every 2 hours to see if the fever has returned. If her temperature is over 104 F then she needs to see a vet asap.

If you can, get some pedialyte and make sure she drinks it. You need to make sure her fluid intake is adequate and the pedialyte will replace any lost electrolytes. Give her 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) every hour for as long as you can if she will not drink it on her own. Offer her small amounts of a bland diet like boiled unsalted unseasoned skinless chicken breast (or hamburger meat) and some white rice (1 part meat to 2 parts rice). Feed her this bland diet for the next 5-7 days. If she will not eat on her own you can force feed her meat flavored baby foods (make sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) with a dropper or syringe. You can also mix a little infant rice cereal with it to help to add bulk to her stool.

If the diarrhea does not improve in a day or so, if she begins vomitting, becomes more lethargic, refuses to eat or drinky or seems to be in pain then get her to the vet as soon as you can.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more.