Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I was in a park today with my dog, we were playing with him,

Customer Question
i threw his ball and...
I was in a park today with my dog, we were playing with him, i threw his ball and he went to get it but jumped on the bench then dropped his ball, so he went to the end of the bench and got his front part of his arm stuck, he didn't make a noise intill he fell off the bench, my friend picked him up to put him back on the bench so we could get his arm back out. When we got his arm out he seemed happy. We walked 10 minutes after the accident and he was limping and now and then laying down. But 20 minutes into the walking he stopped liming and was wagging his tail. Then we rested at a bus stop for 10 minutes when we got up he started limping again. He doesn't whine when he walks on it and he doesn't whine when we move the paw he got stuck or whine when we squeeze the paw. Has he just twisted it ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/17/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. C, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. C
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Hi-

It sounds like he bruised it and after he has rested a while, and uses it, there is some temporary pain. You are not noticing swelling nor reluctance to use it, like carrying it which is traditionally indicative of fracture. I would recommend you ice it twice this afternoon for about 10 minutes at least two hours apart. Observe this evening and tomorrow for any swelling. If ever there is reluctance to use the paw or carrying it, then it needs to be checked. He is at an age when limbs are flexible so a probable twist or strain is likely. I hope this is helpful. Please push ACCEPT and thanks!