Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 10 yr. old neutered cat vomits his food (not a hair ball)

Customer Question
almost immediately after eating. He...
My 10 yr. old neutered cat vomits his food (not a hair ball) almost immediately after eating. He is on a specialty cat food for past two years from local vet since he had
urinary blockage. It is a hard food (believe one of the "Science Diet" products---threw the bag away---- and we have religiously stuck to this. Our local vet hospital has many vets---SOME VERY NEW---and the explanation I received was that "some cats get in the habit of this" so I guess I am asking what else might precipitate this behavior? It is getting worse.Thank you!
Marjorie J. Carlon [email protected]
Fowlerville, MI
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/17/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian

Hi there--could you give me a little more info?

How long has this been going on?

Is this every time he eats?

Are his stools normal?

approximately a year but much worse now.We keep him brushed (once or twice a week) and he has had his share of hair balls He is a totally indoor cat

It is occurring this last week, almost every time he eats.

His stools are normal and his behavior fine.

Thanks.

First of all, many cats can and will "regurgitate" small round kibbles of food after they eat fast enough to not chew them properly. I say regurgitate instead of vomit only because in such situations, there does not seem to be the "prodromal" symptoms associated with vomiting per se--i.e. salivating, feeling ill, etc.

I have seen this resolve when owners either moisten the dry food to allow it to soften, or gradually change to the can-food version of the same prescription diet.

However, (there's always one of those, isn't there) we are discussing an older cat here, and vomiting that is worsening can be related to a number of problems--some actually involving the digestive tract (stomach, intestines) and some not (like kidney disease, thyroid overactivity, liver problems)

That said, I would strongly recommend that the kitty be seen by your veterinarian to let you be given your diagnostic/treatment options.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Elaine

Thank you. One more question. My understanding of the food he is on is to make him drink more water for the flushing of the urinary tract. That has happened but remains the same since he has been on it.
Could there be a detrimental effect of eating this type of food for that period?

While the prescription diet you may be referring to (C-D?) as well as some other Rx diets for urinary tract disease in cats can increase water consumption, this is not the primary mode of action.

These diets work by trying to maintain a certain pH level (close to or just below neutral usually, depending on the specific type of urinary tract problem), controlling the intake of certain minerals, while providing all the essential nutrients the cat needs for proper health.

The risk to a cat's urinary tract health/kidneys from the urinary tract disease itself (when unmanaged) far outweighs any risk associated (which is extremely small in the absence of overt organ insufficiency) with feeding the diet.

Hopes this helps,

Dr. Elaine