Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

rabbit: best to feed..grey on his bottom and tail and he has blue eyes…

Customer Question
i just got a dwarf...
i just got a dwarf rabbit for my daughter, this is her first dwarf rabbit and we would like to know what different kinds of vegetables are the best to feed to him,,,patch is white with a little patch of grey on his bottom and tail and he has blue eyes i would also like to know what kind of dwarf rabbit he is .,,,,thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/16/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
HI,

Thanks for your question and for using JA.

It's great that you are wanting to find out the best things to feed your new friend.

You don't mention his age but I'll give you some generalizations about his diet.

If he is really young (<6 months or so), then he should be eating free choice (unlimited) alfalfa hay and grass hay (timothy, bermuda). Hay is the most important thing he should be eating. They need it to keep their teeth healthy and their gi tract. Next, he should have unlimited rabbit pellets (ideally timothy based). These pellets should have no seeds, grains, nuts etc. Finally, his treats should be a small amount of veggies and since he is young, he should be introduced to them slowly. I would offer greens like butter/bibb lettuce, romaine lettuce, parsley, carrot tops etc. I would not give iceberg as it is not that nutritious. Fruits should be given just as treats every know and then.

If he is older, he should still be eating unlimited hay as the majority of his diet but I would want it to be grass hays, not alfalfa. The plain pellets will be next but I would start to limit them so he would get 1/8 - 1/4 cup of pellets per 5# XXXXX body weight daily. So if weighs 3#'s, I would give him close to 1/8 cup of pellets/day. Finally, I would give him a good handful or two of the mixed veggies also.

Here is an excellent website all about rabbits, their care, diet etc. See:
http://www.rabbit.org/ You can search many different topics there.

I would highly recommend that you find a vet who sees rabbits as he should have a new bunny check-up. They will do a complete phyiscal and confirm that he is a he . Very young bunnies can be hard to sex. We do recommend that rabbits be neutered also as it does help with their behavior as they age. Also, if he starts to show any abnormal signs (change in appetite, attitude, stool etc), it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. The above website does have a list of vets also.

As for breed, he is most likely a netherland dwarf. They are many color variations.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Dr. G