Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

WE HAVE A YEAR OLD PAINTED TURTLE. NOTICED A WEEK AGO HIS…

Customer Question
WE HAVE A YEAR OLD...
WE HAVE A YEAR OLD PAINTED TURTLE. NOTICED A WEEK AGO HIS LEFT "CHEEK", THE PROTUSIONS ON THE SIDE OF HIS HEAD (DON'T KNOW NAME), IS TWICE THE SIZE OF HIS RIGHT SIDE. IS EATING, SWIMMING, BASKING - DOESN'T SEEM SICK. THERE ARE NO VETS IN MY AREA FAMILIAR WITH TURTLE CARE. MY VET IS WILLING TO LOOK AT LITTLEFOOT AND BE IN CONTACT WITH A VET WHO DOES KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. i LOOKED AT OTHER SIGHTS THAT MENTIONED SWOLLEN EARS. wOULS THE PROTUSIONS BE HIS EARS? WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. LETIA VAN HECKE
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/14/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for the question. Can you answer a few questions for me?

1) What is his (i will use his just for convenience) diet?

2) What type of enclosure are you using?

3) What light sources do you have?

4) How much ultraviolet light exposure is he getting? Both through UV bulbs and sunlight (unfiltered, not through a window)

5) What is the temperature of his basking area?

Dr. Kevin

Diet: Morning-4,5 freeze dried river shrimp Evening-15 or so Reptomin baby floating food sticks

10 gallon aquarium-4,5 inches water

Day blue incandescent 100 watt (over platform) AND 13 watt fluorescent coil bulb (over hiding plant

The coil bulb says 25 UVB

The heater is set at 78. Thermometer on outside of tank shows 78-80

Both lights are turned off at night

10 gallon aquarium-4,5 inches water

The coil bulb says 25 UVB

Both lights are turned off at night

Thanks. As for the location of the mass, is it just behind the eye and just in front of where the "head" meets the "neck"?

Dr. Kevin

Yes, on the side of the head. We just picked him up to double check and he pulled in and his head did not go all the way in. The protusion wouldn't let him

This is most likely an aural (ear) abscess which is commonly seen in turtles suffering from hypovitaminosis A (low vitamin A). Treatment is to lance the mass and remove the caseous contents and provide supplemental Vitamin A. I have attached a link to a good husbandry guide for turtles:

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/chrysemyscare.htm

Basic husbandry ideas are to make sure the basking area is at 90 degrees F, ensure a good variety of dark green, leafy vegetables are included in the diet, and that the UVB light is changed every few months.

Dr. Kevin

Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your help. To me what you diagnosed seems accurate. I found a vet today 70 miles away that I will be able to take him to tomorrow. I was unaware of the timing of the light bulb change. Obviously did not learn as much as I needed to when we got Littlefoot. I will definitely be adding more greens to his diet. Thank you again, I feel so much better knowing this is a fixable problem. The little guy sure has grown on us. The ONLY problem is, who would have known a 3" turtle could rack up a dog size vet bill???

I'm glad I could help. Exotics such as turtles, bearded dragons, iguanas, etc. are some of the most rewarding, but difficult pets to keep. I have had turtles in the past and now have a bearded dragon whom I adore. They are as much a science project as pet with their own unique light, temperature and dietary requirements. I hope he feels better soon.

Dr. Kevin

Thank you. I hope so too. I will keep you posted. Cool
.