Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

lab: 9 days ago she was dropping milk and for about 28-30 hours…

Customer Question
my lab is pregnant, the...
my lab is pregnant, the vet said 9 days ago she was dropping milk and for about 28-30 hours her temp has been 99.1-99.6, what do iI expect?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/14/2010
Veterinarian: Santiago Soto, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Santiago Soto
Santiago Soto, Veterinarian
Hello friend

Thank you for posting your question.

One of the signs that tells you she is ready is the secretion of milk. But the best indication is a drop of temperature.
You have to take her temperature often through the day every day, when you notice a decrease of by 1 degree (more or less) you can expect the puppies to be born withing 24 hrs.
After the first puppy is born, it would take up to one hour per puppy. For a total time of up to 24 hrs the entire labor process.

Good luck

Dr. Santiago
Relist: I know that the temperature will drop from a normal average of 101.8 down to 99 degree range but they say within 24 hours puppies should be here? So now what?.
I know that the temperature will drop from a normal average of 101.8 down to 99 degree range but they say within 24 hours puppies should be here? So now what?
Yes it will drop, if you notice this decrease of temperature, and she hasn't started delivering the puppies. Than she will need a C section.

So you should take her to your vet, and have this done.