Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My westie is 12 yeARD OLD AND WE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TRAINING…

Customer Question
My westie is 12 yeARD...
My westie is 12 yeARD OLD AND WE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TRAINING HER. Recently she has started wetrting in the house , Our vet tested her xrays and bacteria tests. She has no infection. In the last year or so she takes a VERY LONG TIME TO URINATE.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/14/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for the question. Can you give me a little more information? 1) Were any blood tests performed? Specifically glucose, BUN, CREA and ALP.

Dr. Kevin
She has had a complete blood work up I have a good vet and I'm sure he was thorough
That's excellent. 1) Has she shown any increase in thirst or appetite recently?

Dr. Kevin
no she hasn't changed any other habits sleeps a little longer but she is 12
Thanks. I appreciate your patience, I am trying to give you the best advice that I can. 1) How frequently is she barking to go out? 2) When she goes outside, does she squat and produce a continuous stream for a long period? Or does she squat repeatedly, producing small amounts of urine? 3) When she goes in the house, is it a small amount, or a large puddle?

Dr. Kevin
Sometimes she barks to go out often that is if there are visitors.I don't think she only barks to go out and urinate sometimes she just sees someone or another dog. When I take her out for a walk she goes in one place for several minutes I haven't timed it .but I know it's longer than she used to take . Usually when she goes in the house it's a small amount but today she didn't bark to go out and wasn't in the room I was in. she went a lot in another room
Thanks. It sounds like your vet is doing a good job of working up the case. Just make sure that all possible medical causes have been ruled out. These include diabetes mellitus, early renal failure, Cushing's, diabetes insipidus, etc. Some of these conditions will not always show up on routine bloodwork. I would also have the bladder ultrasounded to rule out a bladder tumor. Not likely, but possible. This would cause sudden uncontrollable needs to urinate and would not necessarily show up on xrays. Other potential causes are bladder sphincter incompetence (unlikely, as this usually causes a leaking of urine rather than urinating too often or too much) and age related cognitive dysfunction (also unlikely as she is still barking to go out, so her house training seems to still be intact). The first step I would take is to make sure all medical possibilities have been ruled out, this should include a bladder ultrasound. If all medical causes are ruled out, a drug for cognitive dysfunction , such as Anipryl, may help. It sounds as though she is actually producing more urine than in the past. If so, this is almost always due to a medical condition.

Dr. Kevin
I looked at her medical records and she had these tests. They were negative . When we go out she can be in her crate for several hours without going. We don't leave her for more than five hours when we do this
Thanks. Unfortunately, the broad categories that could be causing this are medical, behavioral, and age related cognitive loss of house training. If every possible medical test was done, to include bladder ultrasound, acth stim or dex suppression test for Cushing's, water deprivation test for diabetes insipidus, etc. Then it is either behavioral due to changes in the pet's environment or loss of some house training due to age related changes. I'm afraid I have given the best advice I can in this case. I will opt out so another expert may give their opinion.

Dr. Kevin
Veterinarian: Dr.Fiona, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Veterinarian
Hi there,

I agree with Dr.Kevin's answer.... but will try to probe a bit further into this frustrating situation.

Could I get a bit more information about your old girl please?

1. Does she have any medical problems that you are aware of?

2. Is she on any medication or special food?

3. Does she ever seem disoriented during the day - appearing lost or confused?

4. Do you notice any less enthusiasm in her greetings to you or other people she knows, or does she turn away when being petted?

5. Does your dog ever have fecal accidents in the house?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Fiona