Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our Beardie is very lethargic and keeps his eyes closed. He…

Customer Question
Our Beardie is very lethargic...
Our Beardie is very lethargic and keeps his eyes closed. He ate only 1 mealworm this morning and just sist under the basking light.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/13/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian

Hello. I also have a male bearded dragon, about 2 years old. Can you give me a little more information, so that I can better assist you?

1) What is his current diet?

2) What type of lighting are you using?

Dr. Kevin

He loves meal worms, he does not like Crickets. We also give him greens, which he likes very much. Not a very big variety I'm afraid.

We have a basking light and a tube uv light. It is winter now and we tend to keep the basking light on during the night, is that ok?

Thanks. There could be a few things going on. Beardies and reptiles in general are very prone to calcium deficiencies in captivity. It could also be something as simple as constipation or possibly an infection with coccidia or adenovirus. I want to focus on some things you can try at home, both immediately and general husbandry changes.

1) Are you dusting the meal worms with a calcium supplement?
2) How old is the UV tube? Is it UVB?
3) How was he acting yesterday?
4) When was his last bowel movement?

Dr. Kevin

He was acting the same yesterday and the day before. He sits perched up on his log under the light with his head in the air and eyes closed.

He had a bowel movement this afternoon. I was a bit concerned as there was some white matter within, which is normally all black.

The uv light is about 3 weeks old. Not sure about the uvb!

He does not really want to be touched.

O and he had another meal worm about half hour ago, dusted with calcium. My son feeds him normally, can't say the get dusted every time!
Thanks. The white you are seeing is uric acid and is normal (it is their urine). These are some things you can try:
1) Soak him in warm (not hot) water for about 20 minutes. Use a shallow bowl, and use just enough water to cover about half his body, but not enough to risk covering his head. This should be done 3 times weekly for young beardies and at least weekly for adults.
2) Get an infra red heating bulb for nighttime use, instead of the basking light. This will allow you to keep his basking area warm, but also give him a period of darkness.
3) Whenever the weather will allow, get him 30-45 minutes of unfiltered sunlight at least a few times a week. UV lights are great and help tremendously, but nothing is better than sunlight.
4) Newspaper is the best substrate for the bottom of his cage.
5) Make sure it is at 100 degrees F in his basking area during the days.

These steps may help to perk him up. If he is still feeling poorly, have him checked by a vet as soon as possible, both for parasites and calcium.

Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian
Thank you very much for your time.
My pleasure. Beardies make wonderful pets. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Dr. Kevin