Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

cat: wieght..back up but now whenever he shakes his head he flls…

Customer Question
my cat is about 15...
my cat is about 15 and a little over wieght about 2-3 hours ago he walked up to me like he was drunk and then fell over he got back up but now whenever he shakes his head he flls over as if his limbs give out. what could be causing this? please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/12/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Jen, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jen
Dr. Jen, Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr. Jen,
Of course I can't diagnose him over the internet but a few possibilities come to mind.
Balance problems can be caused by an inner ear infection, vestibular disease, imbalances in the blood, or toxin exposure.
If he is an indoor cat, toxin exposure is less likely.
Ear infections can seemingly come out of nowhere and if they affect the inner ear (which plays a role in balance) they can cause a situation like you are describing. Ear infections are treated with antibiotics.
Vestibular disease is a condition caused by a problem in the vestibular section of the brain. (Also responsible for balance) Sometimes it can be from a tumor, but very often it is due to a condition called idiopathic vestibular disease. There is no known cause for this, but if it is this they usually get better with a little supportive care. This syndrome only happens in older animals and is sometimes accompanied by a head tilt or unusual eye movements.
Finally blood value imbalances such as low or high blood sugar, electrolyte abnormalities, or high liver or kidney values can cause problems in older cats.
I think a trip to the vet for a good exam and possibly some blood work is warranted for what you are describing.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Dr. Jen