Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

kittens: i know how old they are

Customer Question
i found three kittens how...
i found three kittens how do i know how old they are? and what to do with them
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/11/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Erica, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian
The rule of thumb for kittens is that they usually gain 1 pound per month of age. Therefore if you weigh them, you may get an idea as to their age (for example- 1/2 pound would be about 2 weks old, while 1 pound would be about 1 month). Kittens open their eyes at 2 weeks and usually will wean from the mom and be willing to eat canned kitten food at 4 to 6 weeks. Therefore if they are eating and not needing to be bottle fed, then you know they are at least 4 to 6 weeks. However, weighing them is the most accurate way to determine age. If they are younger than 4 weeks, then you will need to bottle feed them kitten formula (from the pet store) every 4 hours. Let them drink as much as they will take. As they get older, you can try to mix the formula in a bowl with canned kitten food and see if they will lick it up. Once they start to do so, then gradually make it thicker and thicker until it is purely cat food. If they are less than 2 weeks of age (eyes still closed) just prepare yourself for a lot of work (feed every 2 hours) and the high likelyhood that they won't survive. In addition, if they are being bottle fed, you will need to stimulate them to go to the bathroom after eating by rubbing a warm wet cotton ball over their genitals and anus to make them pee and poop. If they are eating solid food, all you need to do is offer a litterbox and they should use it by instinct. Good luck with them and let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian
will cow milk make them sick
Yes. They really need to be on a special kitten formula. If you can't get it today then give them cows milk temporarily but then they should switch.
even if thier like 5 weeks
Yes. Use the kitten formula mixed in with canned cat food. If they are willing to eat the canned food all by itself then they do not need any type of milk. Only use it if they won't eat the food but if you do use it, then it should be kitten formula. Cats are actually lactose intolerant so regular cows milk can really upset their stomachs.