Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my dog is having diarrhea. this has been going on for about…

Customer Question
my dog is having diarrhea...
my dog is having diarrhea. this has been going on for about 2 weeks. He is puking once in a while, and seems to be getting overly excited at times. He is a small pug mix, 14 pounds, just over 3 years. Up to date on all shots. He was fixed in March. I make sure he has plenty of water, food bowl is left out for him to eat at his convenience. His food is kibbles and bits, weight management for indoor dogs. 2 months ago I had to take him in to have his anal sacs drained. I need help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/11/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Hi there.

From what you have told me, it does appear that your dog has a mild digestive disturbance. If this is minor and due to something your dog ate or stress, the best thing to do for now is to fast your dog for 24 hrs. This allows the digestive tract to calm down and heal. Most likely the tract has been irritated from something and it has not been allowed to heal. After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken ¼ and rice ¾. If this has helped, wean your dog onto the regular meal over 2 day’s period. At the same time, you can give Imodium AD 2 mg caplets at 1/2 caplet given every 8 hrs.

It is extremely important to have your dog seen immediately by a vet if your dog continues to have severe diarrhea. Even the dehydration from this can cause your dog severe complications.

If this is not successful, you will have to have your vet examine your dog to determine if there is something else such as a protozoa or infection that is causing this diarrhea.

Good Luck!!