Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Why would a trained 4 year old lab suddenly wet in her sleep?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Hi there.

From what you are telling me, it appears that your gal is suffering from a Hormone Responsive Incontinence. This is very common in spayed females (I am assuming your girl is spayed) due to the loss of estrogen when the ovaries are removed. This hormone is responsible for priming the bladder sphincter and when there is no longer this stimulation, the sphincter will become weak. This will cause very typical signs of urinating during sleep or when lying down. The urine is very dilute and may not give off any odor. The dog does not know it is happening and will be shocked to wake up in a wet spot.

The treatment for this is a medication called Phenylpropanolamine which will attempt to strengthen this sphincter. If this is not successful, DES (diethyl stilbesterol) which is estrogen will be used to prime this sphincter and will be successful at stopping this condition.

It is advisable to have your veterinarian examine your gal to be sure there is not an underlying cause such as a urinary tract infection. If this is ruled out, the treatment will be initiated and your gal will be back to normal.

Good Luck!!