Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

what should I treat my holland lop with-has a bad case of fur…

Customer Question
what should I treat my...
what should I treat my holland lop with-has a bad case of fur mites he weighs 4 lbs
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/9/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian
Hi. There are several different species of mites that rabbits can have. Can you describe them to me? What medications do you have at home?

Dr. Kevin
It started out behind his ears, looked like dandruff, lost some hair. Now its moving further down his back, but hair is growing back. I went to trim his toenails, he has lost the fur on his sides and top of his feet and on his stomach. He has hair on his head, and sides. He is still eating and acts ok. I have some kitten & puppy revolution(selamectin) 15 mg 0.25 ml here on hand.
Great. Selamectin is effective in treating many mites and lice that affect rabbits. The dose is 6-12mg/kg. So, your bunny weighing 4 pounds = 1.8 kg. His dosage will be 11-22 mg. The 15mg size will work just fine. Apply it to the back of the neck at the base of the skull, just as you would for a cat. Apply this every 2 weeks. You should see a marked improvement by the second treatment. Make sure you also wash all bedding and clean his enclosure thoroughly to eliminate the chance of re-infestation.

Dr. Kevin
Please remember to hit ACCEPT if my answer helped you. Take care.

Dr. Kevin