Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

cat: fiv..also seems to be losing fur just below his ear..appetite…

Customer Question
I have a 6 year...
I have a 6 year old FIV rescue cat. his skin is a bit scaley and he wheezes now and again.he also seems to be losing fur just below his ear. he is an indoor cat and has a health appetite.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/9/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Hi, I'm Dr. Steve. I am reading your question and am not sure what you are asking. Could you give me more details please. Thanks
I would like to know what i can use to get rid of the dry skin and also the reason for the hair loss around the ears

Thanks for the extra information. The dry skin can sometimes be taken care of by a bath with a moisturizing shampoo that contains benzoyl peroxide, or a shampoo with aloe and oatmeal. If your cat won't tolerate a bath, there are essential fatty acid supplemnts that can be added to the food that frequently help. One supplement is called Optima. These suggestions will only work if there isn't a medical condition causing the scaly skin. Such conditions could be ringworm or thyroid disease. The treatments I mentioned won't hurt and you could try them first. The Optima may take up to 30 days to show improvement. The Shampoos may take 3 or 4 baths about 5-7 days apart before you see results. As for the scratching of the ears, that could mean an ear infection or possibly ear mites or just due to dry skin. If you see any black "dirt" in the ear canal you may need to medicate the ears for infection and/or ear mites. I use a product called Tresaderm that helps with infections and mites.

If these suggestions don't work, you may need to have your cat examined by your veterinarian.

Good Luck!

If this has helped please click the accept button. Thank You