Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My year old shipoo sometimes refuses to pee...She..excited..my bed…

Customer Question
My year old shipoo sometimes...
My year old shipoo sometimes refuses to pee outside and then without any warning will urinate inside.She also urinates when I come home and is excited to see me.Last nite after taking her out she urinated on my bed!!! What would cause this??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/9/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Sandoz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sandoz
Dr. Sandoz, Veterinarian
Hi there!
Inappropriate urination can be very frustrating indeed!
Was she ever fully house trained or is this a continuation of accidents she's been having since she was a puppy?
By no signs of UTI I'm assuming she's not straining or vocalizing, there is no evidence of blood in her urine, no discomfort when she urinates?
Did your vet run a urinalysis to check for a medical explanation? If yes, and it came back clear, then it is quite possible that this is behavioral and we can give you some tricks to try.
This began occasionally when she was 6 mths old and neutered She was house trained around that time but still had an occasional accident. Now it is a daily occurrence. My friends shipoo holds it 12 hrs but mine never could do that during the day. At night she can go 8 or more hrs and is not eager to go out in the morning. She goes approximately 4x a day without any problem. No small amts or straining or vocalizing. When she urinated on my bed it had a nutty odor. I have been giving her rescue remedy now and i previously gave her a med for increase sphincter control which did not help. The vet examined her but didnt do a u/a since i couldnt get a sample. She's very finicky about doing her business and will go out and stare at everything, not go and then come in and urinate.If it is snow or rain she wont go out.I dont think she would allow me to put a cup under her. I will dipstick her next accident for blood. Its crazy.
We don't reprimand her because of it possibly being submissive urination.When we come home we wait until she is calm before we interact which has helped.I believe awhile ago my friend may have yelled at her while she was staying over for having an accident. This may have triggered it because she then urinated while I was holding her when she saw him initially and then was kissing him and wagging her tail.I feel terrible and dont know what else I can do.
It does sound like this could be behavioral. In an ideal world, you would do at least a urinalysis to make sure we're not missing something really simple, like an infection. (Your vet could collect a sample by putting a small needle directly into her bladder). However, from what you're telling me, it does sound more behavioral (especially because she CAN hold her urine for 8 hours with no accidents!). Does she only urinate in the house when you are home and watching? (i.e. you don't come home to puddles that she's done while you've been out).

Not reprimanding her is great. Negative reinforcement does not work well. Waiting for her to be calm before interacting with her is also great.
Other things you can try include 1) large amounts of praise (and possibly a treat) when she does urinate outside, 2) if she always urinates in the same place (on your bed), restrict access to that location. Only when she is calm, let her be there. If you can't restrict access to the location, try putting a puppy pad down so that at least when she does pee on your bed, you are not cleaning up duvets and sheets! 3) Try and make going outside a very positive, fun experience, even if it is raining or snowing (so you go with her, praise her, treats, cuddles...).

Behavior issues can be very difficult and time consuming to resolve. You need to be consistent and patient! You may also need to call around in your area and find a trainer/behavior specialist who can consult with you and determine the true underlying cause (submissiveness, separation anxiety, anxiety), and then recommend directed treatment (sometimes medications are prescribed on a temporary basis to help - not antibiotics or urethral tone medications but ones specifically for behavior modification).

I really hope this helps,
Dr. Sandoz
I didnt want to catheterize her for a sample.What are your thoughts rescue remedy?Is there a downside?Is there any correlation to nutty smelling urine? My son came home from college when these episodes escalated. What are your thoughts on her urinating whle i was holding her when she saw my friend??
Catheterizing a female dog is actually quite difficult (especially if the animal is awake). Cystocentesis, however, is when we put a little needle straight into the bladder in an attempt to collect a sterile/uncontaminated urine sample. This is a very routine procedure, usually done with the patient awake. There are very few possible side effects, and although I've never seen this happen, there is the theoretical possibility of introducing infection or causing trauma to the bladder wall. Nutty smelling urine may indicate either infection, too much sugar or other changes in the urine. A urinalysis would help to figure it out. I would have no hesitations in letting your vet perform a cystocentesis if you are not able to collect a "free catch" sample.

Hope this helps!

From what you are describing, it still sounds behavioral. Possibly during times of stress or over excitement. Aside from behavior training, there are medications you could try that help to calm overly excitable animals. She would need an exam, and most vets will resort to these drugs only once a medical explanation has been ruled out. They can be used in conjunction with behavior therapy/modification so that ideally you would not have her on them for life. Unfortunately, I cannot do an exam on her or prescribe medications, so you would have to see your vet for this.
I was able to dip stick her urine that was freshly done on the patio. There was no blood but a small amount trace-+1 protein. I am a nurse and I used a chem strip. She has been fine except when new people, particularly males come in and greet her from above. Except for those times, there havent been any accidents. What insurance company would you recommend?
I was able to dip stick her urine that was freshly done on the patio. There was no blood but a small amount (trace-+1 protein). I am a nurse and I used a chem strip. She has been fine except when new people, particularly males come in and greet her from above. Except for those times, there havent been any accidents. What insurance company would you recommend?
With every new post, it sounds more and more convincingly behavioral! Trace protein can be normal especially if her specific gravity is good/high. No blood or billirubin, no ketones or sugar on the chem strip help eliminate a few things.

It may be that she has developed a fear/anxiety or over excitement associated with new people and quite possibly, as you say, males. In these cases, desensitization training can be very helpful. If she is very excited whenever the doorbell rings for example, try and calm her down before opening the door. Then have the new guest greet her calmly (people often mimic the excitement level in the dog), or even ignore her completely.

As for insurance companies, I can't recommend any one in particular but what I can say is that you should look for one that will cover behavior issues (as not all of them will). I am in Canada, but the popular ones here are PetSecure, and Vet Insurance. Some of my clients are able to get pet insurance from their existing insurance broker in addition to their house insurance, for example. Word of mouth is an excellent way of finding out which company has claims that are easy to submit, low deductibles, etc... In addition, your vet may have a few pamphlets at the clinic which you could swing by and pick up.
She might of had small amount billirubin. Does that indicate something?
A small amount of billirubin in canine urine with a decent specific gravity is usually normal. If it was a large amount of billirubin, it could indicate high billirubin in the blood which can be an indicator of liver disease. But if you barely saw the change on the stick, it is likely normal.