All of a sudden my 4 mo. old lost her energy. She is pooping and peeing okay, but she is always attached to me hip, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: all of a sudden my 4 mo. old lost her energy. She is pooping and peeing okay, but she is always attached to me hip, and right now she is lying in her bed in my room not moving. At this time of the morning, she is ususally full of vigor. I mean this just happened overnight
Answered by Dr. Spencer in 56 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Spencer
5+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer!

I'm sorry to hear about your pup. If you can supply me with some more information, it will help me better answer your question.

First, has she been vaccinated? If so, how many vaccines has she gotten?

Does she like to chew on things like toys or shoes?

Has she had any vomiting?

In young dogs like her, we get concerned about Parvo (a virus they can pick up in the environment that can be deadly). Clinical signs of Parvo include decreased appetite and energy as well as vomiting and diarrhea. Keep in mind that if an owner is very astute, they may pick up on the fact that their dog just isn't feeling very good before any serious clinical signs start. In addition to Parvo, other things that can cause similar clinical signs include GI parasites, gastritis, and foreign bodies (if she ate something she shouldn't have).

So, with that said, I would watch her today, and if her appetite and energy doesn't pick up within a few hours then I recommend that she has a visit to the vet for a physical exam, fecal exam (to check for parasites) and a parvo test. Depending on what the vet finds on the physical exam, they may also want to do blood work and radiographs (x-rays).

I hope this helps!
Take care,
:) Dr. Spencer
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Spencer
logo
logo
logo
5+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Spencer
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.