Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 27 pound 11 month old Beagle ate 2oz of milk chocolate 2.5

My 27 pound 11 month old Beagle ate 2oz of milk chocolate 2.5 hours ago. She seems OK. How long should I watch her?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. In response to your question, this is not a toxic dose for her weight. She would need around 10 ounces. The worst case is mild diarrhea. If she does get diarrhea feed her a bland diet of rice and chicken. She will be fine.

Symptoms of chocolate toxicity usually start within 2 hours and they start with hyperactivity, vomiting and eventually can lead to heart problems.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter