Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

I have a 10 year old mini lop who has many problems including;

I have a 10 year old mini lop who has many problems including; hx of malocculsion of teeth, fracture leg, healed and the bunny can not use it, previous blindness-white pupils developed at approx 4 years old, and a previous dental infection which cleared with antibiotics. now I am noticing that the bunny's eye is draining a clear liquid. I am torned between bringing the bunny to the vet, or just letting nature take it's toll. please advise.
ps-we have another bunny same age, that is in perfect health.
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob.
Your poor rabbit sounds like a war veteran!
Can you tell if the fluid his eye is draining is tears or does it appear to be that the eye itself is leaking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
good question, I am not sure, but I will take a closer look when I get home tonight. I will say the poor bun can no longer clean himself and I frequently wash his under fur. the healthy bun takes care of the sick one, which is one reason we kept him going for so long. ( we love animals, have 2 birds, previously had a much loved dog )

In terms of the bun's eye- how can I tell if the orbit is leaking?
Animals are wonderful!
Check out his eye when you get home and let me know. I'll get back to you then.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think it is an outer eye infection as a conjunctivitis, around his eye lids, it is red
last pm I cleaned his eye with saline eye drops.
Hi again. Some pet stores carry antibiotic medications that they'll sell over the counter. Usually I'm not a fan of these products as they vary greatly in their effectiveness and even safety, but on Good Friday, you're liable to have a hard time finding a veterinarian to take care of this problem for you.
I would separate the two rabbits to keep the healthy one from contracting this problem. Another term of conjunctivitis is "pinkeye" and is can be highly contagious to the other rabbit and possibly to you, too, so wash you hands well after handling him.
Saline is not a bad alternative, but I suspect you're going to need antibiotics to clear it up.
"Letting nature take its course" would be to let his eyes be eaten up by bacteria, I most certainly couldn't recommend that!
If you have further questions, please let me know.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could I use erthromycin opth ointment (sterile not used) in the bun's eye?
Absolutely! That is actually an excellent choice in this situation! Use it twice daily for 7 - 10 days or for 72 hours after all symptoms have resolved. If it doesn't seem to be helping after 3 days or so, you may want to try a different antibiotic. There are unfortunately many resistant strains of bacteria these days.
Good luck!
Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob on 4/2/2010 at 4:24 PM EST