Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a 8 year old poodle who has been panting at night.

He has neve done this...
I have a 8 year old poodle who has been panting at night. He has neve done this before. I thought he was just hot, so turned on ceiling fan. That helped some but he still is doing it. He has never had any issues and has and is very active
4/1/2010
Rebecca, Veterinarian
Hi JACustomer,
Panting is a sign that a dog is over heated, but can also be a sign of pain, or stress.

I have seen dogs with back pain pant a lot. There can also be internal pain, but usually you would see symptoms like eating less, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. with internal painful conditions.

There is a condition called Cushing's disease that increases the stress hormones in the body, so the dog feels stressed more often, and will pant more.

So there are many possibilities for what is affecting your poodle. I would recommend starting with an exam and maybe blood tests by your veterinarian. If you want to try something at home first, you could try aspirin for pain. Some dogs can't take aspirin; it makes them vomit. Do not try any other over the counter pain reliever for people.

You don't say how big your dog is (toy? standard?). The dose of aspirin is one baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, once to twice daily with food. If there is any loss of appetite or vomiting, do not give any more.

Since this only happens at night, you could also try melatonin, 3 to 6 milligrams per day, to help him sleep.

If neither of these helps, then I would have him checked for pain, and conditions like Cushing's disease.

Hope this helps, Rebecca
My poodle is very sturdy and weights 16lbs. He is the most active pet I have. He is eating and running and interacting. don't feel it is pain as he would cry with pain and he is not. I am clipping him this week end, it is that time to get rid of his winter coat. It could just be that he is hot as the ceiling fan helps him some. I will take your advise and get him tested and see what happens there.
If a haircut and the fan stop the panting, there is your answer. It seems very reasonable to do that first. If the panting then continues, I would look for the reason. A good physical exam by your vet would be the next logical step.

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Rebecca, Veterinarian