Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Mycoplasma Infection in cats

I have an outbreak of...

I have an outbreak of Mycoplasma Felis in my cattery right now. There is a previous question about this, of which the answer is completely wrong. The veterinarian is talking about Mycoplasma Haemofelis, and the cat owner is talking about Mycoplasma Felis, which are two different things. I am not interested in the hematological variety, but in the conjunctivitis variety. Sad to say, there is very little information on the web regarding this and I can't seem to get appropriate answers to the questions I have. I understand the way it works, and I have done sufficient treatments. I treated with Doxycycline for the adults and juveniles, which is the most effective antibiotic available for the condition, except for a feeding queen, who is treated with Azithromycin to spare the teeth of the babies. I also cross treated prophylactically with L-Lysine for Herpes, so that this won't interfere with the treatment of Mycoplasma. I have already tried several cats of breed Sphynx. What I am interested to know is that, if there are any adequate statistics for relapse occurrences? And how about contagiousness? Is the cat considered contagious until the treatment is complete? Or will a few weeks of medication make the cat less prone to infect other cats? If the mycoplasma is successfully treated, will chemosis of the tissue and third lid disappear? Is it possible for a cat to have theorganismwithout any clinical symptoms?
Is this species newly recognized since there is so little information about it?

Answered in 1 day by:
12/30/2009
Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi, Veterinarian

This is a very difficult and frustrating problem, and I'm sure you know.

My first question is: How did you diagnose this? Did your vet submit for PCR or an upper respiratory viral panel? If not, I would highly recommend you to do this because the differentiation dictates the course of treatment (and the species differentiation is very important).

If it truly is Mycoplasma Haemofelis, which is transmitted by fleas while the Mycoplasma Felis is transmitted by mucosal route (usually mouth), Doxycycline is a good treatment along with typical Azithromycin which you are doing. If at the end of the antibiotic treatment, the clinical signs are still present then I would say the cause is more likely to be Herpes virus.

One of the best resources for this is Dr. Mike Lappin at Colorado State Vet Hospital. You might have your vet try to contact him for more advice.

Let me know if you have done the tests already and what the results were, so then I can potentially help you more.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, we have done a panel for FHV (Feline Herpesvirus)/Chlamydia/Mycoplasma Felis, and it came as positive for Mycoplasma Felis. I know that all my cats have Herpes and am also very familiar with feline respiratory diseases as I have worked as a vet's nurse and breed cats. I treat all my cats prophylactically with L-Lysine and it works good. I agree about the differentiation, this is most definitely Felis, not Haemofelis. So, the clinical signs should disappear in course of time even though they might have been going with the infection for a while. See, I thought it WAS herpes, until I started thinking about mycoplasma instead. And then it proved to be so. I am just worried about clinical signs and damage on the eye tissue and third lid. Also, I wonder how long it will take before they are harmless for other cats? I have a male who is supposed to mate a female, and the owner of the female knows about the mycoplasma. My suggestion is that we wait until the cats are free of symptoms for two weeks, as per my vet that’s the time I need to treat them. What do you think?

I'm glad you had the PCR done. According to the research I have done, three to six-week course of antibiotics should resolve clinical signs and carrier status. However, there are reported cats who can never kick the infection, and they have chronic, intermittent relapses. But, most cats response to the long course of Doxycycline. I have also tried 2 drops of Betadine in a small bottle of saline and applied it to the eyes twice a day. This has really helped with the chemosis. You should be able to consult a veterinary ophthalmologist about any additional treatments you can add.

I totally agree with your suggestion to wait to breed until they are free of symptoms for 2 weeks. Good job!

Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi, Veterinarian

I believe I have gotten the answers I need :)

Thank you very much :)

Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi, Veterinarian