Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My guinea pig isnt eating or drinking! She is very weak because

My guinea pig isn't eating...
My guinea pig isn't eating or drinking! She is very weak because this is the second day she's been like this. She is 4 years old and I took her to a regular vet yesterday because I could not afford an exotic vet. He said he didn't find anything wrong with her and gave her some kind of medication. Today, I found her eyes to be watery and something green leaking out of her mouth. I'm so sad for her and worried that she is dying and in pain. Is there anything that I can do for her? I really don't want her to suffer.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2009
Dr. Shalet
Dr. Shalet, Veterinarian
Hello. I'm so sorry to hear your guinea pig is not doing well. I do have a few questions:

1) Is she spayed?

2) What is the name of the medication she is taking?

3) Has she lost weight recently?

4) Were any bloodwork or x-rays performed?

Thank you!
She is not spayed and hasn't lost any weight. Unfortunately I could not afford the bloodwork or anything. But she did have an annual exam only a week ago and I was told that her kidneys and everything looked great. Oh no!! I forgot to check the medication..I had to return to work briefly so I cannot get to it now. It is something that is refridgerated. Sorry that I do not have that important detail for you!!!
That's okay about the medication. And I understand that money is tight (we're all in the same boat in this economy!)

One thing I would be very concerned about is uterine cancer. Given your gal's age and reproductive status this is definitely a possibility. Uterine cancer would be very difficult to diagnose without x-rays (and even then the diagnosis can prove challenging). This is something that can not be cured.

Other common guinea pig issues include upper respiratory infections, pneumonia (which they can get from humans) and over-grown teeth. I suspect the teeth must be okay given her recent examination.

I also suspect your veterinarian is treating for a potential upper respiratory infection with the antibiotics.

The best thing you can do for her is to keep her calm and quiet and continue to give her medication.

She is at the upper limit of her life-span (4.5 to 5.5 years of age). If she is not improving and appears to be suffering then you may consider euthanasia.

I hope this helps.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you find this answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button.
Dr. Shalet
Dr. Shalet, Veterinarian
Thanx for your help and kind words...i know my piggy is old. I just hope she is not in pain!! Take care :)
Your welcome. I too hope she isn't in pain. Best of luck with her!
Dr. Shalet
Dr. Shalet
Dr. Shalet, Veterinarian