Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My dog was trying to urinate and produced mucus out of her

vagina. Shortly after, she managed...
My dog was trying to urinate and produced mucus out of her vagina. Shortly after, she managed to urinate a small amount, but she's 15 and kind of on her last legs, so I was worried. Can you tell me what might be wrong?
6/19/2009
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian

This is Dr.Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will give me a clearer picture of what's going on.

• Is she spayed?
  • Did you notice any blood?
  • Does she have any weight loss, lack of appetite or vomiting?
  • Was today the first time she has showed a urinary problem?

She's spayed, there wasn't any blood, and she has been losing weight lately (over the last 6 months or so) but she hasn't shown any urination issues except not being able to make it to the doggie door in time. She has started actually sitting down instead of just squatting when she does her business though.

Thank you for the information. The squatting may be due to joint pain and arthritis at her age. The mucous and painful urination (producing a small amount of urine at a time) is typical of infection. I'm concerned that the accidents she is having is due to an underlying condition that is also causing the weight loss at her age. Here are some possibilities:

• Urinary Tract Infection- Urinary tract infections may cause blood to appear in the urine and are more common in female dogs. Symptoms include painful urination, having to urinate more often in smaller amounts and drinking more water. Urinalysis and sometimes a urine culture are necessary to diagnose an infection. Antibiotics are necessary to clear the problem.
  • Diabetes- The increased sugar in the urine causes the need to urinate more often and hence the need to drink more. Bloodwork is necessary to diagnose it and many dogs eat well but lose weight. It is treatable with insulin injections. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/diabetes-in-dogs/page1.aspx
  • Liver Disease- There are many different causes of liver disease. Bloodwork is necessary to start and then more tests may be needed to pinpoint the actual cause. Treatment depends on the cause.
  • Cushing's Disease- This is an increase of steroids in the body that causes the symptoms you are seeing. Blood tests can diagnose the problem and treatment is possible but it is generally very expensive. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?c=0&q=cushing's+disease
  • Addison's disease is a decreased function of the adrenal gland and the body does not produce steroids (opposite of Cushing's). These dogs in many cases with will have intermittent bouts of vomiting, extreme lethargy and diarrhea. Bloodwork is necessary for diagnosis. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoadrenocorticism-addison-s-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx
  • Kidney Disease- Kidney failure is fairly common in dogs and is a condition that is not curable but certainly can be treated to improve a dog's quality of life. Symptoms include weight loss, vomiting, increased urination and thirst, and lack of appetite. Diagnosis requires bloodwork. Treatment usually includes diet changes, fluids and sometimes medications to improve anemia or lower phosphorous levels. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chronic-renal-kidney-failure-in-dogs/page1.aspx

All of these conditions cause a dog to produce more urine which can be a cause of accidents. Of course, arthritis and joint pain could also may it difficult for her to reach the doggie door. Many of these conditions will also predispose a dog to develop urinary tract infections. In this case it would be best to have her checked by your vet. A urinalysis and possibly bloodwork may be recommended. If you have more questions please let me know.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Thank you very much!
You are welcome. Good luck.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian