Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My King Charles Cavalier is snorting heavily and trying to

Customer Question
swallow a lot. She has...
My King Charles Cavalier is snorting heavily and trying to swallow a lot. She has just eaten a meal of vermicelli and tuna fish which I gave her in case there was an obstruction in her throat: she started this this morning after being out in the garden. We think she may have eaten something like grass and got it stuck in her throat.

She does, however, snore heavily and noisily when she's asleep and I'm worried about this waking breathing noise.
Very grateful for your advice.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
5/9/2009
Veterinarian: UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon replied 8 years ago
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon

Hi there,

How old is your dog?

Is she having any trouble actually breathing?

Is she coughing?

Does she have any history of heart disease?

Did she swallow the food ok?

Does she appear to be distressed?

• She is 8 years old.
  • Not really.
  • Occasionally, as if trying to bring something up.
  • No history of heart disease.
  • Yes - she swallowed the food easily.
  • She is sleeping (and snoring heavily) at the moment so she is in no distress.
  • I thought of taking her to my local vet but as it's Sat. she may not be there hence my contact with you.
  • Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for the extra information.

It is certainly possible that something has been stuck in your dog's throat, or even up the nose. Being a spaniel, I imagine she likes to have a good sniff around and we occasionally see dogs with blades of grass or small seeds etc. up their nose or stuck at the back of the nasal cavity. Sometimes things do get lodged in either place, or they can have been removed by the dog coughing or sneezing but leave behind some residual inflammation and irritation which then causes continued snorting and coughing. This may settle with time if the problem has gone.

If your dog does not appear to be distressed and can rest comfortably then it would be worth seeing how she gets on over the next 24 hours or so. Provide lots of drinkingwater and I would feed little and often and soft food as you have. If the problem persists then you may have to go to the vets for them to have a look for something that shouldn't be there. She may need some anti-inflammatory treatment or a closer look at the back of the nose under anaesthetic.

I hope this helps,

Jen

UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
Many thanks: very helpful advice which I'll follow up. Is there any way in which I could do more to help her unblock her nose?

I think the most important thing is to avoid her getting too excited or wound up so that she does not have to try to get air in too quickly - leave the walks for now and just let her out to the toilet, and try to avoid games and letting her get too out of breath.

UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
UKVETJH
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon