Vauxhall

Vauxhall Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Diesel Corsa 1.3 Club, the Spanner light came…

Hi, I have a 2008 Diesel...
I have a 2008 Diesel Corsa 1.3 Club, the Spanner light came on and the garage has told me that the Glow Plugs need changing. They said this could be an easy job, or a very long job if the plugs are seized.
Currently the car starts fine - even on -6deg mornings.
Is there any hurry to get this work done?
Thanks,
Paul
3/16/2016
Vauxhall Mechanic: Pete, Auto Body Repairer replied 6 years ago
Pete, Auto Body Repairer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the vehicle is starting and running properly even in extreme cold weather then you should be o.k.If the engine does start to act up to where it starts hard when cold then the glow plugs will need replaced.Most likely the computer is seeing the glow plugs resistance out of range and has set the code they see telling them they need replaced but they are still working at this time.I would operate it until you have a hard time starting it or rough running when cold then they would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Great thanks for the great replyIs there a high chance that the Glow Plugs will be seized? or is this just a disclaimer that garage says to cover a rare instance?They quoted 6-7hours work if the a plug sheared off - obviously a significant amount of money to spend on a car only worth £1600

There is a chance as they get hot off and on which can cause them to seize in some cases.I would say it's a 50-50 chance they are seized as some remove fairly easy for replacement.

The quote for them being seized is correct it can run up to this amount of time but not necessarily this long if seized.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Body Repairer
Ok thanks,
One last question, If I got the correct socket, Is it possible to change them myself?
I have changed spark plugs etc before? or will it mess with the car computer?
Cheers,
Paul

You can change them yourself.If they come loose easy then no problem but if they are stuck this is best done by a repair facility or dealer as you dont want them to break off in the engine.

Thanks Pete