Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
101446932

Had urine sample come back with leukocytes and nitrates but

Customer Question

had urine sample come back with leukocytes and nitrates but cultures came back with no bacteria on a 4 year old child
JA: The Urologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?
Customer: seh complained it hurt a bit and it was a yellow color she\
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: couple of days. worse when she hold he rpee
JA: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: family with kidney issues. Also same day she had a lower fever and vomiting. first sample came back "contaminated" saying she had glucose in urine. second sample was one that came back with the leukocytes and nitrates present.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 days ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a U.S. trained, board certified physician, and am happy to assist you with your health concern today. Please allow me a few minutes to read and respond to your question.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is experiencing urinary symptoms. Based upon her symptoms, the positive urine dip test, and the contaminated culture, she most likely has a UTI. Contamination of the urine culture with skin bacteria, makes the culture less accurate. Because of the presence of skin bacteria, often the lab cannot detect the infectious bacteria that is causing the symptoms. So, in her case, it's best to complete a course of antibiotics as a precaution.

This situation is not uncommon, as 20% of culture are contaminated and therefore inaccurate. I hope she feels better soon.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the culture is wrong? i should continue with her antibiotics even though the her dr told me to stop taking no sign of bacteria ?
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 days ago.

There was detectable contamination. The ability of the culture to detect other infectious bacteria in the setting of contamination is limited. So, the culture could not specifically identify the bacteria causing the infection. Yet, her clinical symptoms are consistent with an infection. I would recommend that you complete the course of antibiotics, as a precaution. The culture should be interpreted as "inconclusive", not "negative" when there is contamination.