Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with kidney stones last year. I passed 1…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with...

I was diagnosed with kidney stones last year. I passed 1 stone within that time. Recently got an ultrasound. Found 5mm in right and 3mm in left. I also have a 1.7 cm cyst in left kidney.. I also noticed foamy urine and puffy and dark eyes. Although my urine and blood tests were fine.. help me out

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Its been more than a year. The stones come and go. Cyst is recent

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Some mild allergies .. but tge medicine worked fine. Thats it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Urology
6/1/2018
Urologist: Dr. Jon, MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Jon

Hi there. I'm Dr. Jon. I'll be happy to help answer your question.

When you passed the stone last year, were you able to bring the stone to your doctor for analysis?

Are you currently doing anything to try to prevent the stones from forming?

Are you on any medications for the kidney stones or any other medications aside from the allergy medicines?

I didnt know when I passed it.. Just found it from the 2nd ultrasound. Because of kidney stones i have reduced my calcium intake and stopped eating high protein food. I am not taking any kidney medications

Thanks for that information. Prevention of kidney stones depends largely on what type of stones are causing the problem. Your doctor can give you a special strainer to try to catch the stones as they pass and then these can be analyzed to determine what type they are.

In general, increasing fluid intake will help prevent stones. Reduction in calcium intake as you are doing is a good idea as is avoiding high protein foods. Medications can also be helpful to prevent stones, but the type of medication would depend on what type of stones they are. This could include certain types of diuretics if they are calcium stones or possible potassium citrate or allopurinol if they are uric acid stones. This is probably the most important thing at this point if the diet changes have not worked to prevent future stones...trying to figure out what kind it is to determine if a medication might help.

Got it. But should i worry about the cyst?

Kidney cysts are common. If it is a simple cyst (meaning a round, fluid filled cyst), it would be nothing to worry about. Usually if it is a cyst that looks concerning, the radiologist will recommend an MRI to further investigate.

Are my dark circles and puffy eyes related to my kidney problems?

Unlikely. You mentioned your blood tests and urine tests were okay, meaning your kidney function would be normal. Those symptoms would not be related to the kidney stones in anyway I can think of.

Hi there. I see this question is still open. Please let me know how I can further assist you. Otherwise please provide a 5-star rating so I can close this question.