Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently diagnosed with a 7mm Kidney Cancer on my

Customer Question
I was recently diagnosed...

I was recently diagnosed with a 7mm Kidney Cancer on my right Kidney. I have been scheduled for removal of same next month but I want a second opinion before subjecting myself o the removal of said Kidney.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Just discovered, via Cat scan, ... no immediate physical symptoms but the Urologist is insistent on removing the Kidney ... suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Dr. has all medical history available from Sutter Health Care.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Urology
5/30/2018
Urologist: Dr. Mark, Surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Surgeon

Hello -

Did your doctor do a biopsy, or is the diagnosis of cancer based on the CT scan?

THE LATTER
HAVE AN ANSWERET?
EMAIL YOUR RESPONSE SOONEST PLEASE.

OK, thank you.

7mm seems to be on the smaller side to make a decision about surgical removal of a kidney.

I would ask for a second opinion from another urologist.

Many urologists would take any lesion under 10mm and get another CT scan (or MRI scan) in several months to check for any growth -- then if there is growth, at that time consider surgery.

Others may decide to biopsy the area via CT guided biopsy of the lesion.

However -- if there is a high risk that the lesion is cancerous, then yes -- surgical removal of the kidney (either partially or the whole kidney) is recommended.

So a lot of this depends on how concerned they are that this is cancer.

Thank you for your response. However, you have "tap-danced" around the question. This is why I contacted you to get a medical opinion regarding surgery. If 7mm is considered "Too Small" for removal the so-be-it. However, my current Urologist has Cat-Scans, MRI and sonograms and announced that he will remove my kidney soonest. I do not want anything growing inside my body that can cause loss of function and life.

General recommendations say for small (under 1cm) lesions, it is acceptable to watch it with a repeat CT.

However - if you are concerned about the cancer -- and your urologist is as well, then removing the kidney would be the appropriate step.

Thank you for your response, quite helpful

Best of luck to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!