Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I fell of. I fell off a 3 story building 12 months ago and…

Customer Question
I fell off a...

I fell off a 3 story building 12 months ago and broke my back and have 2 titanium rods and 12 screws holding in together but I have been very very fortunate not to be paralyzed so I mentally I am fine. But since the fall I have been catheterized and been on this pill finisteride and flomax. Getting very very tired of changing this the past 12 months. I read many negative things about using finisteride. I am now thinking I should have had the as I have heard called the rotor rooter procedure and I am not comparing you with a plumber. Your thoughts.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 76 and have type 2 diabetes and when check by my urologist he said my prostate was about 7/8 large or full and it was not cancerous. That was about 11 months ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Good morning Dr.Wilson

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Urology
5/27/2018
Urologist: Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine replied 29 days ago
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. If your question is regarding whether a "roto-rooter" procedure should have been done at that time, well that depends on the size of the prostate and the severity of the symptoms. Since you have been catheterized and I assume are unable to pass urine without its use, then ideally you should be considered for the procedure. This procedure is referred to as Transurethral resection of the prostate or TURP in medical circles. Usually, when your prostate is enlarged, most urologists would prefer to try and control the situation with medications to see if surgery can be avoided and they will try a few months with medications. If there is a significant improvement in the symptoms and reduction in the size of the prostate then surgery can be avoided however if there is no improvement even after 6 months, then surgery SHOULD be considered.

It is a procedure which is usually done under spinal anesthesia which means that you would be given medications to numb you from the waist down and then a tube would be inserted through your urethra via which the prostate would be cut down to size. The recovery time is 2-3 days in the hospital following which you would be discharged home with a catheter, the catheter is usually removed after 1-2 weeks depending on your recovery.

But right now, I DO think you should be considered for the TURP procedure as having a catheter in place is not a long-term solution.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/