Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Have you ever used a pessory to support the bladder when…

Customer Question
Have you ever used...

Have you ever used a pessory to support the bladder when there is no uterus to support it?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Chronic, involves incontinence.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I'm reasonably healthy for someone who just turned 80!!

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Urology
5/27/2018
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 23 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Pessary would not help, unfortunately.

To evaluate the condition; you need an investigation called as video urodynamics which tells about the integrity of muscles of bladder and sphincters of the bladder. A pelvic floor electromyography and MRI of the lower back/spine may also be sometimes needed. These investigations guide for the exact treatment protocol. Following is the treatment;

A. Behavioral modifications;

a) timed voiding,

b) bladder training,

c) Kegel exercises

B. Electrical stimulation: This is a procedure in which small electrodes are placed on the pelvic floor. The electrodes produce electric pulses that cause contraction of the muscles of the pelvis and the urethra. This strengthens these muscles to help reduce the incidence of incontinence.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

C. Medications:

a) oxybutynin

b) tolterodine

c) propantheline (Pro-Banthine) and

d) dicyclomine

D. Surgical treatments for incontinence; Implanting the InterStim electronic device.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have had the urodynamics test, sling surgery and Botox. I was hoping to find something less invasive than the Interstim, which is what I'm facing now. I had reactions to the medicine prescribed. How successful is the InterStim in your experience?

It is very effective.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you for your help!!

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 22 days ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.