Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

Yeast infection around penile shaft

Customer Question

Yeast infection around penile shaft
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the area here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is not with me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has like a reddish rash on the penile shaft

Ideally if you can attach a picture that would give me a better idea, however if you cant can you tell me the appearance? is it itchy, red? Are there any blisters in the area? Any swelling? How long has he had this? Any pain?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It’s itchy and red. No blisters or anything at this time. He has been using neosporin and some nystatin cream
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
For about 3 days now

And he started the nystatin three days back as well? correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

The rash that has appeared on the penis can be due to various conditions, the first one being a yeast infection as you have rightly surmised. In that situation the nystatin cream should be able to get rid of the infection within a week of starting its use, in some cases, it can take ten days. in case the nystatin is not effective then it would need to be treated with ORAL fluconazole therapy which can be very effective as well.

The second possibility is that of a bacterial infection which can cause a red itchy rash, usually in that case the rash may be painful in nature. In this case, the exact bacteria would need to be identified with the help of a clinical examination and testing. If there is a history of unprotected sexual intercourse then an STD panel may need to be run. Again it depends on the EXACT appearance of the rash, depending on the type of infection oral antibiotics would be required.

Third, this could be an allergic reaction to some personal hygiene product which can cause this sort of rash. In that situation, every product which he uses would need to be assessed. OTC topical hydrocortisone cream along with OTC antihistamines would be very effective in that case such as OTC Claritin and OTC Zyrtec.

Right now I would advise using the nystatin and Neosporin and adding OTC antihistamines like Zyrtec or Claritin. If you can upload a picture when he comes back I will be happy to take a look at it to see which particular infection it can be. If there is no improvement after a week then he may need oral prescription antifungals.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!