Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband of 14 yrs says his penis burns after I twrcourse…

Customer Question
My husband of 14...

My husband of 14 yrs says his penis burns after sexual I twrcourse but not after oral... so he says I have an acidic vagina

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

Our health is great... I have never been with another partner in over 20 yrs... I’m 37... we have 2 heAlthy children... never had any STD’s ... he told his Dr and never had any response really... he had been saying this for about 5 yrs... not all the time... mostly if he drinks alcohol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No none in mine... he recently has been treated for high blood pressure that’s all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Urology
3/30/2018
Urologist: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Sometimes, as we get older and our skin changes, or we eat/drink or do certain things, our skin gets irritated by those things.

It could be that overtime, especially when your husband consumes alcohol, his penile skin (which is very thin and sensitive) gets more sensitive to whatever the environment of your vagina is.

You could try the following:

- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. This is a good way to promote the healthy bacteria that are supposed to be in the vagina, and neutralize any imbalances in that environment. (Your husband could eat Activia too! It's a good way to promote bacterial health all over.)

- A company called RepHresh makes over-the-counter products to neutralize the pH of the vagina. Remember, our vagina is SUPPOSED to have an acidic pH - that's how it protects itself from bad bacteria, yeast etc moving in. RepHresh makes gel inserts or oral tablets that you can take to re-balance the vaginal environment.

- Your husband could apply some coconut oil to the penis before intercourse. It's soothing and it acts as a little barrier for his skin to protect it from whatever's bothering him.

Does this feel like a place to start?

Thank you

You are most welcome. I wish you both all the best.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you.