Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Is it unusual to have incontinence after minor surgery

Customer Question
unrelated to the urinary system...
Is it unusual to have incontinence after minor surgery unrelated to the urinary system? FYI, I did not have full general anesthesia, just sedation and localized numbingThank you,
Donna
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Urology
3/29/2018
Urologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 23 days ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how long ago was your surgery and where on your body did you have the local numbing medication applied? Do you know what specific medication they have you for sedation? Was it oral or intravenous? How soon after surgery did you incontinence begin?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I had carpal tunnel release surgery yesterday. I was told the actual procedural is less than 15 minutes. I see
Marcaine, ANCEF and lidocaine listed on my discharge summaryInvoluntary urinating stated after getting home a couple hours after the procedure

I see, thank you for that information. Marcaine and lidocaine are both local anethetics, Ancef is an IV antibiotic. For carpal tunnel release surgery, none of these medications or the procedure itself should cause any incontinence. Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD