Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a persistent UTI with no bacteria in my blood

Customer Question
I have a persistent...

I have a persistent UTI with no bacteria in my blood cultures. I’ve had UTI issue since I was four. Since I had my ten year old I have stress incontinence and pee several times a day and night but right now am on macrobid and the urgency and flow is perfect. I’m halfway through the ten days of macrobid but yesterday felt

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

The burning and pain. Dr sent me to urologist and am waiting to see him on a few weeks. Any ideas why the last couple of UTI were so bad I peed blood? One was a real full fledge kidney infection. This year is more mysterious and I’m curious de nervous as to how one fixes this and how invasive it might be

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Pain so bad I’ve been in ER twice in two weeks, ct scan and blood and all labs were normal I’m otherwise healthy as far as those tests went

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Urology
3/28/2018
Urologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

So its recurrent UTI with sterile pyuria . Meaning thereby that no bacteria could be isolated in urine culture . There are a number of causes for this e.g STDs , anatomical abnormalities in urinary tract , Tuberculosis of urinary tract , incompletely treated UTI , fungal UTI etc.

In your case as the urinary problems have been there since childhood so there is a fair chance that you might have some anatomical variation making you more susceptible to easy UTIs.

In such scenario the urologist will advise a few tests to check on the anatomy and might also recommend a camera test( cystoscopy) to look into your bladder .

Possibility of obstruction with stones should also be ruled out with an X ray or CT scan.

In case of recurrent UTIs urologists usually recommend regular use of Cranberry juice with longterm prophylactic antibiotic like ciprofloxacin 250 mg daily .

I hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard