Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

For about the past 3 weeks I have had this feeling that I…

Customer Question
For about the past 3...
For about the past 3 weeks I have had this feeling that I need to urinate more often than usual. It started out with having to go every hour-1.5 hours. Once I went it felt like it started creeping up again and o would have to go soon after. I went to the doctor and they did a physical and a urinaylsis. They said everything was fine and they also sent the ua in for a culture and they said that came back negative also. Over the course of the 3 weeks it has seem.to get a little better with me only having to go every 2-4 hours now but I still get the feeling like I need to go before then and that I am trying to hold it in for as long as possible. Mostly around the 3 hour mark. Since the tests came back negative what could this be? It has been on my mind constantly and I can't seem to stop thinking about it.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Urology
3/26/2018
Urologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This could still be a UTI since in some cases the urinalysis and the cultures can be negative at one instance and such cases if there is no symptomatic relief the tests are repeated in about 3 to 4 weeks time. Meanwhile, symptomatic treatment as in any UTI is continued to alleviate the symptoms. This is usually good hydration, disodium citrate sachets thrice a day and cranberry juice. If the cultures yield positive results or urinalysis shows WBCs or RBCs then an antibiotic can be added. If the cultures are negative on the second instance and the patient is still symptomatic, more workup is done, which includes an ultrasound of the kidney, ureter, and bladder (KUB) to rule out debris and stones along with renal function tests to rule out any change in renal functions. I will suggest that at this point you start the symptomatic treatment as above and also schedule a visit to your physician for further work up.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I have recently had a ultrasound on my kidneys about a 6 weeks ago and that came back okay also. The frequency has went down quite a bit but it just seems to still be on my mind which is causing me to constantly be worried about this.

If it is getting better and the kidney ultrasound was normal, then it is worthwhile to wait and observe the symptoms and start the supportive treatment, for now, worrying never made anything better. Observe this for another week to 10 days. If there is no recovery or if there is an aggravation of symptoms, the best course of action will be to go back to your doctor and ask for more work up.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.