Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I suffer from Interstitial Cystitis. My urologist prescribed…

I suffer from Interstitial Cystitis...
I suffer from Interstitial Cystitis. My urologist prescribed me Myrbetriq. I have taken it a month with no results. I believe it has actually made my condition worse. Before I was going once an hour. Now it is 2/3 times an hour. Sometimes I feel like I have to go so bad I am almost leaking but when I go it is 1-2 ounces. It made my urgency worse. I this even possible. I stopped taking it 2 days ago
3/25/2018
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, mybertiq is used by many urologists after the initial diagnosis of interstitial cystitis however it is not the ideal drug to be used in this situation. In this situation, the best drug which can be used to control the symptoms would be Pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron). it may restore the inner surface of the bladder, which protects the bladder wall from substances in the urine that could irritate it. It may take two to four months before you begin to feel pain relief and up to six months to experience a decrease in urinary frequency.

In the meantime other drugs which can be used to control the symptoms include,

Amitriptyline

Imipramine

Loratadine

However you can also use various other forms of treatment which yield good results here as well such as,

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). With TENS, mild electrical pulses relieve pelvic pain and, in some cases, reduce urinary frequency. TENS may increase blood flow to the bladder. This may strengthen the muscles that help control the bladder or trigger the release of substances that block pain.

Sacral nerve stimulation. Your sacral nerves are a pri***** *****nk between the spinal cord and nerves in your bladder. Stimulating these nerves may reduce urinary urgency associated with interstitial cystitis.

DMSO this drug can be instilled into the bladder which can help in this situation as well.

But to answer your question, YES mybertiq can sometimes cause worsening of the symptoms which is why you should try any of the above medications.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is it possible Myrbetriq has made it worse.

It won't make the condition worse BUT it can cause worsening of the symptoms. The condition would not worsen. The symptoms should improve once the mybertiq is stopped, it can take a few weeks to improve after the mybertiq has been stopped though.

Do you have any more questions?

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I am lucky I do not suffer from Pelvic Pain or flares. Just urgency. I have tried the sacral nerve stimulation. That did not work. I have also had the botox treatment and inter-stem surgery twice. Neither of those has worked either. I am seeing my doctor on Wed. What do you think my best next step is

Try the elmiron which seems to be the only thing which has not been tried as of yet. or the DMSO instillation treatment.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
This is not a duplicate. I was on Myrbetriq and it did not work. My doctor put me on Toviaz. How long does that take to kick in. Last time I was on it was 5 years ago and it put me in retention. If that were to happen again how long would that take
Usually it starts working anywhere between 3 to 7 days and if it is to cause urinary retention that would occur within 7 days as well
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine