Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a urinalysis done two days ago and my leukocyte

Customer Question
I had a urinalysis...

I had a urinalysis done two days ago and my leukocyte esterase came back as 250. A culture was done and nothing grew. What could cause this? I live in canada so perhaps your units are different.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw my doctor because my gfr and creatinine have been high and he ordered complete blood and urine tests. I am currently taking elavil 25mg and zocor 20 mg.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

It has been good and all other blood tests came back as normal except for my gfr is only 52. By bp has been normal high around 130/80 on average

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have a history of uti infections although not lately.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Urology
3/24/2018
Urologist: Dr. Chip, General Practice replied 26 days ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

250 is right at the edge of being clinically significant--indicating there are white cells in the urine

So in your case I would say it doesn't really indicate any medical problem--no bladder or kidney infection.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Could it be bladder cancer? Should I have a cystoscopy?

No--it certainly isn't an indication of bladder cancer and you don't need cystoscopy for it

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice