Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been thinking that my problems with erectile

I've been thinking that...

I've been thinking that my problems with erectile dysfunction started aeound the same time as I started taking certain medications. Of course it may be that none of them have any bearing, but I'm currently taking Bisoprolol, Amodipine, Omeprazole, Metformin and Citalopram...?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

All of the above Pearl...no noted allergies to medications that I'm aware of.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really....have suffered left ventricular hypertrophy in the past (which is what I assume some of the medications are in place for) and diagnosed with 'on the cusp' Type 2 Diabetes.

3/24/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor,38 years of experience

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience and I will help with your query.Type 2 diabetes by itself is the biggest contributor to Erectile Dysfunction(ED).A study by Boston Medical Centre has shown that at least half of the men who have Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (DM )will develop ED within 5-10 years of their diagnosis.Hypertension,elevated lipids,damage to small nerves and small blood vessels which help in erection occurs in DM.The drugs may contribute a little to the ED,but the major part is secondary to the DM.Risk factors for ED include hypertension,depression,DM and ageing apart from the drugs.Getting rid of excess weight,good control of blood sugar,regular exercise will help.Oral medication for the ED like Sildenafil/Viagra,Tadafil/Cialis can be beneficial in early ED with DM.It can help normalise the erection and help you with the problem.These drugs do not interfere with your Metformin or Insulin.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren