Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

On February 8, 2018 I had my second botox and now I can't…

On February 8, 2018...

On February 8, 2018 I had my second botox and now I can't control my bladder. When I have the urge I have to have my urinal bottle near me or I'll have an accident. I also have a bladder infection. I've tried Bactrim which made me vomit, tried Ciproflaxicin, and now on Nitrofurantoin for 3 days and Pyridium for pain relief. I really can't go anywhere for fear of accidents. Any solution?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Chronic since I had my last botox.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I know of.

3/23/2018
Ross
Ross, Urologist

hello Dr Ross Im sa urologist I will try to help

What was your reason for botox urge iincontinence or neurological problem

the most common reason for your incontinence is retention it occurs in 20% cases making your bladder like a tea pot you just empty the spout sio it fill quick and overflows

you need to have a bladder scan done at your urologist office

it casn resolve ion a months or so but you might have to cath yourself for a short time

you have the bladder infection because your bladder doesn't empty the infected urine out, 2 biggest risk with Botox are retention and infections

hope that helped but you probably have retention

ratings appreciated if that helped

The reason for the Botox was urge incontinence. I am catherizing every day once a day. However the biggest problem I’m having is controlling my bladder when I have the urge. I can’t go anywhere for fear of an accident.

you may have to increase the cath to every 6 hrs and not wait to void

once a day will not help the retention

are you good after you cath

for about 6 hrs

I only cath once a day in the evening but the results are the same. I still have no control over my urgency. The last few days my retention’s have been, 240, 220, 160, 100, and an unusual 20 last night.

that is unusual after Botox obviously avoid the caffeine and make sure your bowels are moving constipation can make incontinence worse also get a urine culture so you can treat the correct bacteria

I forgot to mention that my first Botox (6/1/17) my doctor injected my bladder in 10 different locations. It didn’t work well so on 2/8/18 my urologist tried 15 locations in my bladder. Don’t know if that could’ve caused my problem. As of this morning I still have to have my urinal close to me. When I get the urge which is often I still can’t control my bladder.
Should I seek another urologist? I’m getting desperate. Your advice so far has been pretty much the same as my physician.
I did give a urine sample a few days ago to find out if there’s an infection. I’m drinking lots of liquid because I’m urinating so much and frequently, like every 45 minutes. I should find out the results next week.

i have done Botox since it first came out, usually you do 20 injections and 100-200 units for overactive it would not hurt for another opinion the 10 injection is not enough ever

you need to have someone who has been doing this for a while im not sure how long he has been doing these its not as simpler as some urologist believe, wait for the culture results then you may want to look around most groupds only have one person who does the Botox so you may have to change locations

Ross
Ross, Urologist
Thank you very much for the help. I value your opinion.