Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Have recently experienced blood in my ejaculate with no

Have recently experienced blood...

Have recently experienced blood in my ejaculate with no semen present.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Age:59.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

COPD, stage3/4, and recently underwent surgery for a shatterd tibula and fibula and dislocated ankle.

Difficult to orgasm, am currently taking Albuterol, Symbicort, etc for the COPD. Am currently on SSDI.
Also taking anti tremor meds due to the Albuteral.
Why are my testis making no sperm, just ejaculate mixed with blood?
Urinary tract = no blood. normal urination, occasionally painful.
3/23/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Blood in semen or ejaculate is called hematospermia. This can be caused by many conditions.

The most common cause of blood in semen is inflammation of the seminal vesicles or prostate gland (prostatitis). It can also be due to a tear in one of the fragile veins of the prostate gland. Most of the time it heals spontaneously, without any treatment and blood should stop in a week or so. If the bleeding persists, other causes should be looked for.

A physical examination by a urologist (doctors who will deal it) can give clue of the site of infection or pathology. Digital rectal examination, in which physician, puts a finger in the rectum to palpate prostate can reveal tenderness in prostate or seminal vesicles. A urine culture or semen culture can identify the organisms and their sensitivity towards the antibiotics. This can sometimes be self remitting also, but most of the times an antibiotic course would be required. Infective cause should be looked for, when there is pain or burning during urination. Read the resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/discolored-semen/AN00779

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you Doctor Arun.
This seems fairly normal then. Would you recommend a colostomy exam?, as I went through a bout of diverticulitis 2 years ago.
Antibiotics - no surgery., but a week in the hospital.My appreciations, again
D.

You are very welcome, Doug.

If the blood in ejaculation persists, you may get following investigations and exams done;

a) Digital rectal exam for prostate.

b) Ultrasonography for testes, bladder, prostate and epididymis.

c) Semen culture

d) Urine culture.

Colonoscopy would only be advised unless you have recurrent abdominal pain. A non invasive investigation is CT scan of abdomen, if there are recurrent attacks of diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis or diverticulosis usually is not related to blood in ejaculate.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Thank you again,
It has been a tough couple years medically, and I truly appreciate the information. I am a bit gun shy (medically speaking) as of late, especially as to such a delicate subject, at least for myself.I will wait for the healing, 1 week +?, and move forward with my local GP only if required as per your recommendations.Spring forward....!
D.

You are very welcome.

Yes you may wait for 7-10 days and it may resolve on its own.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.