Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has Non-obstructive azoospermia. I have a few…

Customer Question
My husband has Non-obstructive azoospermia...
My husband has Non-obstructive azoospermia. I have a few questions about his diagnoses!
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
3/21/2018
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What are your questions please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what we were told-he has non obstructive azoospermia. His FSH was high at 29, testosterone was 190, and his lh was normal. Our urologist put him on hcg injections since November (4 months he has been on them). His testosterone is now 794 and his fsh and lh are now low/normal. Is this a good response to the injections? DO you think he will have any sperm in his ejaculate in his SA next week? Also- he has a left and right epididymal cyst located both on the head. He got the ultra sound done about month ago...three months into the injections. Do you think that those cysts could be sperm inside?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will add that he has been tested for genetic abnormalities and all came back normal. No y deletions either. No history of any steroid use, testosterone use, cancer, damage to the testicle, etc. We have no clue why his testosterone was so low to begin with, we don't know what could have caused the azoospermia...as of now its just idiopathic. His testes were of the normal size during his initial examination and his prostate was fine. ALL hormones were normal BUT his testosterone and fsh. Again his lh was normal and his prolactin was as well.

It is difficult to comment on the cysts and its contents. But his response to the HCG injection is good. There should be spermatogenesis seen in semen analysis. It takes though almost an year for sperm counts to built up, many times though.

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist