Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'd like to ask a question to a urologist. Something is

Hi. I'd like to ask...
Hi. I'd like to ask a question to a urologist. Something is going on with my penis for the last 4-5 days. When I go to sleep at night, after a short while, it gets erected (without any sexual desire or stimulation), it stays very hard for most of the night and due to the extended time it stays like that, I feel very sore at the sides of it. When I wake up and stand up, it gets softer but it stays hard if I am laying down and partially conscious during sleep. I do not take any type of pills or medication at the moment. Can you help me understand what this condition might be?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your condition need to be investigated for Priapism; if this continues for further 2-3 days. Priapism is an involuntary prolonged erection unrelated to sexual stimulation. This will need investigations as following;

1) Complete blood cell count: to rule out anemia, leukocytosis, or thrombocytosis.
2) Plasma thromboplastin or activated partial thromboplastin time
3) PBG measurement
4) Pelvic angiography
5) Ultrasound of abdomen
6) Chest radiography or CT scanning

The causes which need to be ruled out are;

1) Spinal cord stenosis
2) Autonomic neuropathy and cauda equina compression
3) Prostate issue
4) Bladder problems
5) Hematological like blood count abnormalities
6) Kidney disease
7) Melanoma
8) Sickle cell anemia

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you, ***** *****: 1) can this be an important issue and is this a common situation or rare 2) I am flying to another country for a vacation for 10 days - in 2 days -, is this something urgent that I need to understand before I leave or would it be ok to understand after I am back

You are very welcome.

This is common situation.

This may not be anything serious or significant.

Just a trivial issue like psychological phenomenon can cause it.

UTI too can be the culprit.

But if this goes on for more than 10 days, it would require probing.

I do not think this is urgent and can be investigated when you come back.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist