Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

For about the past 2 weeks i have been urinating a lot more…

HelloFor about the past 2...
HelloFor about the past 2 weeks i have been urinating a lot more frequently. at first it was about 12-15 times a day but it has slowed down to about 8-10 now. I went to the doctor who did a physical and ua and he said everything looked fine. He sent the ua in for a culture to see if they find anything else. I also recently had a ultrasound on my kidneys and that came back fine. that was for unrelated issues but it was just about a month ago when I had that so he said he thinks that's fine also. my question is what could be the cause if this. He said there was no infections but still prescribed me am antibiotic that I am starting tomorrow. I'm just very worried about this as I have read that frequent urination could be a sing of bladder or prostate cancer. I'm afraid that it is going to end up being something serious. Would the ua have shown anything like that? I have provided a photo of the results also so please take a look at that for me. Thanks in advance.
3/20/2018

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods can often cause frequent urination.

bad anxiety symptoms can often cause frequent urination.

overactive bladder muscles tends to occur in older patients.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you don't believe it to be anything serious? I have stayed away from caffeine and all that. I do have pretty bad anxiety. It has been on my mind the whole time all throughout the day so could that be what it is? I'm just afraid it is something serious and or life threatening

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? are you getting treatment for your anxiety ?

bad anxiety can cause nervous bladder symptoms

and if you think about urinating, you will want to urinate.

you have had your urine tested. there is nothing serious.

you should do more exercise and yoga which can help decrease your anxiety symptoms somewhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I used to take medication for it but I didn't like the way it made me feel. I am constantly thinking about this now. Almost all of my day. So constantly thinking about it will make this happen. The ua also did say there was a trace of blood. Is that something to be worried about?

have you tried medical marijuana? this can help decrease anxiety symptoms.

no, trace blood is nothing to worry about.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I smoke daily. It does help most of the times but then sometimes I get paranoid. But the ua is fine so there is really nothing to worry about?

nothing to worry about

you can look for Indica strains of marijuana which could help your anxiety symptoms more.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you don't believe it to be any type of cancer or anything? I was prescribed a antibiotic that I am starting tomorrow. Do you think that could help also?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also you said if you're thinking about urinating that you will feel you need too. I get the feeling and then actually go. I am going each time and it is usually a normal amount each time also

no, it would not be due to cancer.

it is good to urinate frequently

it means your kidneys are working properly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10-15 times frequently?

no, that can be 100% normal

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is more frequently than usual though. I also notice that it is only during the day and that I am not waking up in the night to go. I seem to go ever 1.5-3 hours during the day but at night I can hold it for 6 or 7 hours. Would that be another sign of just anxiety? When I do wake up though I have to go pretty bad

if you are drinking water more frequently, you can be urinating more frequently

it is normal not to have to urinate at night time when you sleep. that allows you to get better sleep.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am drinking water but I don't feel as if it is an excessive amount and I some times go when I haven't drank anything in awhile.

dehydrationc can cause inflammation and nephritis of your kidneys and sometimes inflammation which can result in blood clots.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that cause frequent urination? What would blood clots have to do with this?

sorry that was for another client.

it sounds like you are worrying too much

your kidneys are working find

it is normal to urinate frequently during the day

there is nothing wrong here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. I just feel like it is a lot more than usual
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got my antibiotic. levofloxacin 250mg. I've read these cam be dangerous and cause musle or nerve problems. Is that true and is it common? I don't want to take them if that could happen

you may not need antibiotics.

you really don't have a urinary tract infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why was i prescribed then? What are your thoughts on that antibiotic anyways?

I think you need it only if you have bacteria in your urine.

you don't have bacteria in your urine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I not take them?

from what you have told me, I don't think you have a bacteria urinary tract infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think it may just be anxiety?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it be bad to take them just in case?

I wouldn't take them

yes, you have bad anxiety symptoms

don't worry about your urination.

it is normal

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would my doctor have prescribed them then?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you not take them because you don't believe there is infection or because they are dangerous?

doctors are prescribing out too many antibiotics as it is now for patients who don't have known bacterial infections.

there are risks when you take antibiotics

antibiotics can upset your stomach, can give you diarrhea by killing off good bacteria in your bowels

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I'm pretty unsure if I want to take them or not.

then I wouldn't take them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you don't think if I don't take them that some infection was missed will spread? The frequency has seemed to go die. But I do have the feeling of having to go still. Would the culture say for sure if there was infection or not. I'm still waiting to hear the results of that

you don't have a urinary tract infection

your urine continues to be clear

your frequency is getting better

work on drinking more water

and exercise to help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

yes, the urine culture would tell for sure if there was bacteria and an infection in your urine

I bet there was no bacteria in your urine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got the results of the culture and it also came back negative and my doctor said I could stop taking the antibiotics. I have not started them still but since the culture was negative is that mean that there is no infection and that I am okay to not take them. He did refer me to a urologist.

I told you that you don't have a urine infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. As it says you are a urologist, what would you expect to happen when I go to see One? What tests?

you don't need testing

you don't have problems with your urine or bladder

your anxiety symptoms are bad

you need treatment for your anxiety symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
anxiety can cause me to go and then have to go right after? It's been better but this last time it's like I have to go again. I have only went 5 times today so I don't think it's anything serious but the feeling is back now

yes, bad anxiety symptoms can cause nervous bladder symptoms and make you feel like you have to urinate frequently

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you again. So with a negative culture there is no chance of infection anymorr? Last question. I appreciate everything

no chance of urinary infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why was i referred to another doctor?
Dr. David, MD