Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the area right at the top of your neck where it

meets your jaw on the...
What is the area right at the top of your neck where it meets your jaw on the left side called?I got a sharp pain there last night after a strong burp,now it hurts when I lift my head up and turn to the right,burp and when chewing ?Its not the throat or larynx its right along the jaw line where it meets my neck picture putting my fingers right on the bottom of my face bone and slightly moving down on neck
3/20/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The region is called angle of mandible (jaw bone) or parotid region. The neck muscle called sternocleidomastoid seems to have strained, due to strong burp or jerk.

Following would help you;

1) Ice compresses

2) Local analgesic cream.

3) Motrin / Tylenol.

4) Neck soft brace.

5) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need a doctor ?will it heal?my cat was lunging across my neck the other day and his stomach was resting on my neck on the left side it wasn't hard but he's 16lbs,is that unrelated?

Yes this can be related. Cat's weight could have been the part of injury.

This is likely to heal on its own.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cause you're telling me to do the same things as when they found my herniated. discs?

Ony severity of disease is different. Treatment is same.

If you pain; you have to do same measures. Only duration of recovery is different.

If you have fever due to virus, flu, pneumonia, stomach flu, sore throat, sinusitis? Do you take different medicine for fever? You take same medicine; Tylenol or Motrin.

If you have pain due to any reason; you take the same medicine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to see the neurologist?another mri?

Give a week. If this does not get better or symptoms increase in severity; the best specialist would be MD in physical medicines and rehabilitation.

Neurologist would be consulted if you have numbness, tingling, pain in arm, forearm or hand.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mean my physical therapy people?

Physical therapist is a para medic and can help too.

MD PMR is specialist in conservative orthopedic and neurological disease treated by physical therapy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pmr is what?

Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can i sleep on the left side of my neck?

If it is not painful on sleeping that side, You can.

Pain tells us, what not to do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lifting my head high and turning head to right,chewing,swallowing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How did burping start this?

Burping causes neck muscle movement too, which can be uncoordinated and cause the strain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do i start with ent or pcp?is this not the field of my ent?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pain in back of neck also on opposite side of disc injury.appt with neurologist next week,is this an ent issue also?

This is not an ENT issue.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist