Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having a problem leaking when I cough,walk,run jump and…

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a problem leaking when I cough,walk,run jump and have sex. Could it be that i may need some lifting of my bladder.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Can u tell me the difference? It is with me everyday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had 2 c-sections and my mother had a prolapsed bladder abd i just had a sister have work done with her badder. I have tried keggel exercises without any relief

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Urologist: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

The leakage of urine you're experiencing with activities is something called "stress urinary incontinence." It's related to the weakening of the muscles around the bladder neck, which is related to having been pregnant, getting older, etc. (More info from Mayo Clinic here.) It can be VERY frustrating but the good news is there are quite a few treatment options:

- There is a surgery called a bladder sling, where basically a little piece of mesh tape is used to make a "hammock" around the urethra (neck of the bladder, where urine exits from). Basically the bladder sling "kinks" the bladder neck when you laugh or cough, so you don't leak urine. It's an outpatient surgery that just takes a couple minutes.

- Physical therapy can be very helpful to strengthen the muscles and reduce leakage.

- This obviously wouldn't work during intercourse, but there is something called a "pessary" which is basically a vaginal insert that compresses the bladder neck so you can do your activities without leaking. You can be fitted for a custom pessary at your ob/gyn's office, or you can try some inexpensive over-the-counter inserts (Poise Impresa makes one in a few sizes). Another cheap solution is just to place 2 tampons in the vagina during the activity, again just to compress the bladder neck so you don't leak.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD