Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Back in October I had a Uti and BV and got treated for both.

Hi. Back in October I...
Hi. Back in October I had a Uti and BV and got treated for both. I believe it was flagyl and Cipro which cleared up when I was retested. About a month later I had C-diff colitis and when I went to the doctor for my c diff they did a tribe test and it came back I had leukocytes in urine but no symptoms of uti. I go to acupuncture because I have oily cystic ovarian syndrome and when I showed my accupruntist the results, he noted the leukocytes and told me to go back to get retested so I did in March and had leukocytes. They however they tested for UTI and there was no growth. Should I be considered by this? I have no burning or pelvic pain. At night laying in bed I have to pee frequently but I’m not sure if that’s just me being paranoid.
urine test
*poly cystic
*concerned
3/18/2018
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, the presence of leukocytes in the urine without any evidence of an infection can be due to a condition which is known as interstitial cystitis. This is a condition in which the bladder can be inflamed and lead to the development of frequent urination and even lower abdominal pain in some patients. Usually, the first step in diagnosing this problem would be to get an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound done. Once that is done we can consider getting a cystoscopy done which looks at the bladder with a camera. Once diagnosed you can be started on treatment with the help of various medications.

I would suggest that you have this evaluated by visiting a urologist who will be able to get to the bottom of this quite easily.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Hi if I let this go untreated will it be harmful? Also I just had an MRI done these were my results
TECHNIQUE: MR enterography of the abdomen and pelvis was performed after the administration of
gadolinium based intravenous contrast and administration of oral contrast utilizing multisequence
multi planar technique on a 1.5 tesla magnet.COMPARISON: Pelvic ultrasound of October 18, 2017.FINDINGS: The liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, and adrenal glands appear normal. There is no
biliary ductal dilatation. The gallbladder is not distended.The aortoiliac vessels are normal in caliber. No para-aortic retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy is
seen.There is no bowel distention to suggest obstruction. There is no ascites. There is no loculated
fluid to suggest abscess. There is no small bowel mucosal hyperemia, stricture or fistula.Uterus, adnexa and urinary bladder have a normal appearance. The osseous structures appear within
normal limits.IMPRESSION: No evidence of active small bowel inflammation, fistula, stricture or obstruction.Would this be able to tell you if that’s what I have?

The MRI would usually show thickening of the bladder if the cystitis was severe but if it is not then it would not show anything and the cystoscopy would be the only option to diagnose the condition. It does progress over time if left untreated but at the moment I would get the urine analysis repeated after a month as it is possible that the leukocytes settle down and if they don't then go for a cystoscopy.

Do you have any more questions?

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine