Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Need opinion on what I am dealing with. 2 plus months had…

Need opinion on what...

Need opinion on what I am dealing with. 2 plus months had redness at urethra tip, no swelling. Occasional cloudy urine and pus or flakes in urine. Dribbling at end of pee that comes and goes. And recently lower left abdomen/ upper pelvic discomfort. 4 Days after exposure urine samples done all negative for UTI, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. Noticed itchiness next day after unprotected oral sex that was only about 30 seconds long, no ejaculate.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Explain difference please?

3/16/2018
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have developed one of a couple of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed an infection of the prostate. The presence of dribbling of urine, as well as pelvic discomfort, could point towards this diagnosis. Prostatitis or inflammation of the prostate can due to bacteria or even fungi however at the same time the prostate can be inflamed because of nonbacterial causes as well. The diagnosis there would need to be made with the help of a prostate examination and also with the help of an ultrasound of the region. A semen culture may also be done. If it is bacterial in nature then antibiotics may be necessary, nonbacterial prostatitis requires other medications and treatment modalities.

The second possibility is that or urethritis which may be missed on simple urine analysis. It would need to be diagnosed with the help of a urethral swab which would be diagnostic and then treated with antibiotics. Another cause can be related to the bladder. Cystitis which is inflammation of the bladder can sometimes present in this manner and would need an ultrasound to be diagnosed. in some cases a cystoscopy is necessary to determine if the bladder is inflamed or not. AGain antibiotics would be necessary and if it is a noninfectious cause like interstitial cystitis, then other medications are required.

But I think the first step is to get evaluated for a prostate issue along with a urethritis test (an STD screen does not check for all bacterial infections and there are many bacteria which can cause these symptoms and not be detected by simple tests for gonorrhea etc like ureaplasma for example).

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But could it be coincidence this occurred after receiving oral sex the next day? At least it started out just itchy at tip, redness of tip of urethra and dribbling. 4 days after the exposure is when I had my first cloudy urine pee and I went to the Dr. I don't want to go back as they told me nothing wrong and charged me 600 dollars.. Or could oral sex cause any of what you described? I did no she recently got over either a bad cold or something so that still could have been in her throat I guess
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know because of quick the onset was most likely rules out any STI, but still in my head about it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Keep in mind im 26...if that has any factor of anything.

It is possible that you got a simple bacterial infection transmitted from the other person since she got over a recent upper respiratory tract infection, some bacteria may have been residing in her throat. So it is possible but the rapid onset of symptoms does indicate that it is less likely for that to be the cause. Most bacterial infections require at least 2-3 days to start causing symptoms and in your case, the symptoms started the next day. So while it is possible, it is less likely.

A STD is highly unlikely i would agree with you there and the negative tests also confirm that fact. Prostate infections can occur even when you are 26 years of age, age is not a bar to develop an infection anywhere in the urinary tract.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You will get 5 stars from me, just a couple more questions. Talking to someone who knows what they are talking about makes me feel better. So, this could just be a coincidence then between the oral and what I have? since the rapid onset was to quick to be most likely bacterial? And second if it helps, I did just finish a 9 day antibiotic course of doxycycline with no avail. 100 MG a day. I was able to get some of that in hopes it would help. But doesn't seem like it did. Moments it seemed like it was improving but then never actually did.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry 200 MG a day, two 100 MG doses every 12 hours

I think it is likely to be a coincidence. Secondly, the ineffectiveness of the antibiotic could be because of you having a resistant infection or even having a fungal infection, in either case, the doxycycline would not be effective which is why you should get a urine culture, semen culture and maybe even a prostatic fluid culture which would be more diagnostic in this situation. The fact is that the symptoms did appear too quickly after the oral intercourse to indicate that you got something from that event, it is possible but usually, the infections don't manifest this quickly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, lastly, is there anything I can do other than go to a Dr.? Either wait it out and give it time or OTC things I can take? Long story short I had a weak moment and cheated on my fiancé that night, that is why it was only like 30 seconds due to guilt setting in.

You can try using an increased amount of water along with OTC AZO but that may provide only mild symptomatic relief, it wont eliminate the problem which is why i think you should be evaluated by a urologist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, one more thing to add...my semen is normal in color but does seem to be a bit more chunky I guess I would explain it than it used to be. Since all this started.

The thickness of the semen is not likely to indicate anything, yes if it was discolored or had pus or blood in it, that would have been significant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay well it does not..at least from what I could tell. Pus would be the same color-ish I imagine and probably hard to tell to the naked eye.

You would be able to tell if it was pus, it would have been yellow in color and would have a different consistency. Pus usually sticks out in the semen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha, then nope we are normal. Well thank you for your time, it is much appreciated. Hopefully I am not back on here and this gets resolved. 5 stars coming your way.

You are welcome, best of luck and thank you for the rating in advance!

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine