Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Turp 3 weeks ago and bloody urine and clots is this normal…

Turp 3 weeks ago...

Turp 3 weeks ago and bloody urine and clots is this normal and how long

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

A little of both especially at the end of stream and pink or red

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

3 weeks after surgery

3/14/2018
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can I ask did the blood and clots in your urine disappear for a time after your surgery or has it been consistently appearing in your urine since the surgery? Also are you on any medications?

The blood since surgery the clots came about10 days ago and they are off and on maybe 3 times a day or so

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually mild bleeding which causes the color of the urine to turn pink or even red is to be expected for up to 2-3 weeks following the surgery. Additionally, we expect some clots to be released out into the urine when the scab over the prostate starts to fall off after two weeks or so. Usually, this sort of bleeding and passage of clots should subside by the end of the 3rd week or at most the end of the 4th week.

However, at the same time, i would keep a close eye on the amount of the blood being passed in the urine. This means that if the blood increases in quantity and you start to pass more blood than urine and the clots start to increase in quantity then that would mean that you should IMMEDIATELY get evaluated in the ER as soon as possible.

So in short, mild bleeding and some clots are to be expected at this time post surgery and they should settle down by the 4th week. However you should monitor yourself for the following symptoms and if they develop at any time, call your doctor or go to the ER.

Increase in the amount of blood being lost

Increase in the number of clots being passed

Difficulty in passing urine

Fever

Lower abdominal pain

Burning and pain while urinating which is progressively worsening over time

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine